Adelphi University COVID-19 Policy on Employee Vaccination and Testing
For the well-being of our community and to support our full in-person academic experience in 2021 and beyond, Adelphi University has implemented vaccination and testing requirements for all our faculty and staff.
Reason for Policy
The goal is to protect our staff, faculty and students while responding to the COVID 19 pandemic and continue Adelphi University’s mission of education.
Who is Governed by This Policy
All employees of the University.
This policy goes into effect Monday, September 13, 2021, and applies to ALL University employees, including full-time, part-time, hourly, union and nonunion staff and faculty, including adjunct faculty.
- Must upload proof of a completed vaccine series to the secure Adelphi University Health Portal by September 13, 2021or within 7 days of initiation of employment.
- Are required to continue following on-campus COVID-19 health and safety protocols outlined on our COVID-19 website
- If proof of full vaccination is not provided by Monday, September 13, 2021, the guidelines for unvaccinated employees apply.
- Are required to get a COVID-19 PCR test every week (biweekly) and upload test results to the secure Adelphi University Health Portal within 72 hours of the test
- Will not be reimbursed or provided paid time off for required COVID-19 testing
- Are additionally required to continue following on-campus COVID-19 health and safety protocols outlined on our COVID-19 website
Employees in the vaccination process
- Should send an email to email@example.com to alert Adelphi Health and Wellness officers about pending completion
- Must upload proof of a completed vaccine series to the secure Adelphi University Health Portal as soon as it is completed
- Are additionally required to continue following on-campus COVID-19 health and safety protocols outlined on our COVID-19 website.
- Vaccination and/or testing requirements are waived only for employees who:
- Are approved by their supervisor to teach or work fully remotely
- Will not be coming to campus at any time
- Will not have in-person contact with students or other Adelphi employees, even for a very short period of time
- Employees must acknowledge these circumstances in writing with human resources by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday, September 13, 2021.
Failure to follow this policy will result in disciplinary action for any employee, up to, and including, termination of employment.
There are no definitions associated with this policy.
Free COVID-19 vaccines
Adelphi University offers free COVID-19 vaccines for all our community members. Call Adelphi Health Services at 516.877.6002 to schedule an appointment on our Garden City campus. Your COVID-19 vaccine must be currently authorized by the World Health Organization (WHO). This includes those vaccines currently authorized for emergency use in the United States(Moderna, Pfizer and Johnson & Johnson). You are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after you have received all doses in the primary series and all boosters recommended for you, when eligible.
Time off for vaccination
Per New York state law, all Adelphi employees are entitled to four hours of paid time off per COVID-19 vaccine injection (Only for initial series). You should notify your manager of scheduled appointments in advance and note the time off as “½ CV” (COVID Vaccine) on your time cards/sheets.
Free COVID-19 tests are available in New York state—see a list of available sites online. Additional options (potentially not free) can be found on Adelphi’s COVID-19 website. Employee COVID-19 testing is not offered by Adelphi University.
Due to changes in vaccine requirements at Adelphi University effective for Fall 2021, Adelphi University is not performing random surveillance testing of our on-campus population as of Monday, August 30. All unvaccinated Adelphi students (with approved exemptions) on campus are subject to mandatory regular (not random) testing. Effective Monday, September 13, 2021, all Adelphi employees who are unvaccinated and who come to campus are required to submit a regular weekly COVID-19 PCR test. If our on-campus infection rate begins to approach thresholds that could trigger a campus shutdown, the University may resume random surveillance testing of our full on-campus population (including those who are vaccinated based on scientific evidence of breakthrough infections). This testing is separate from other testing done as part of contact tracing following potential COVID-19 exposure. Anonymized metrics are tracked on our COVID-19 Dashboard.
How to upload your proof of vaccination
Visit the Health Portal and follow the instructions. Your documents will be securely stored and become part of your confidential health record. If you encounter any problems or need assistance, please reach out to the Health Services Center at email@example.com or 877.6000.
- Last Revised Date: August 2022
Who Approved This Policy
Lucinda J. Donnelly – Chief Human Resources Officer
Eugene Palma – Vice President, University, Wellness, Safety and Administration