Dependent Care Spending Account
The Dependent Care Spending Account allows employees to pay for eligible dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
The Dependent Care Spending Account allows eligible employees to pay for eligible dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
Reason for Policy
Dependent Care Spending Account contributions are taken directly from earnings before federal and most state and city income and social security taxes are deducted.
Who Is Governed by this Policy
Full Time Faculty, Non-Union and Public Safety Employees
All full-time Faculty, Non-union and Public Safety employees may elect to contribute up to $5,000 of earnings to a Dependent Care Spending Account to reimburse themselves for expenses that are incurred to care for eligible dependents, while at work. Eligible dependents are those whom you are entitled to claim as dependents on your federal tax return. If you are married, your spouse must also work, be a full-time student, or be disabled to be eligible to participate.
- Eligible dependents include dependent child(ren) under age 13; and/or a disabled spouse or other disabled tax-qualified dependent who spends at least eight hours a day at home.
- Eligible expenses include care at licensed nursery schools, day camps (not overnight camp), and child care centers which provide day care and household services (related to the care of the elderly or disabled adults or children who live at home) provided by a housekeeper, maid, cook, etc., as long as the individual is partly responsible for the well-being and care of the qualified dependents.
Allowable Changes mid-year:
- This allows the participant to increase or decrease their election amount.
- Significant cost changes.
- Change in provider or number of hours of care needed.
- Addition of a better benefits option.
- Change in coverage under another plan.
New employees can elect to join on the first of the month following hire date or as of the first of the month if hire date is on the first. Continuing employees can elect to participate in the Dependent Care Spending during the annual enrollment period in November for a January 1 effective date.
To enroll in the Dependent Care Spending Account, employees must complete an enrollment form indicating the amount they want to contribute to the Dependent Care Spending Account for the plan year, January 1 through December 31.
Employees wishing to enroll in this benefit must contact Human Resources for the appropriate form.
- Last Reviewed Date: September 17, 2018
- Last Revised Date:September 17, 2018
- Policy Origination Date: November 1, 2002
Who Approved This Policy
Jane Fisher, Director of Employment, Employee and Labor Relations