Requirements for a Medical Leave of Absence
The purpose for this policy is to establish the requirements for a medical leave of absence at the University.
This policy sets forth core principles and standards with respect to academic integrity for student Requirements for a Medical Leave of Absence (MLOA) at Adelphi University.
Reason for Policy
The purpose for this policy is to establish the requirements for a medical leave of absence at the university, including the requirements around returning the University.
Who Is Governed by this Policy
Requests for MLOA can only be requested during the semester in which the leave is necessary.
Submit all letters to the Office of Academic Services, Nexus 145.
- Student shall request leave in writing and state reason why request is being made.
- Student shall submit letter from a licensed health care provider which contains:
- The duration of treatment prior to request
- Plans for treatment during period of leave (if appropriate)
- A positive recommendation that the leave is necessary for medical reasons.
- Adelphi University retains the right to obtain supplemental medical information.
- All requests and documentation must be made during the first 10 weeks of the semester for which the leave is requested.
- Requests for medical leaves will not be considered after the end of the 10th week of the semester. If appropriate, the grade of incomplete may be issued. Emergency situations occurring after the 10th week will be dealt with on a case by case basis.
- If a medical leave is approved all current and future courses for which the student is registered will be dropped.
The student will not be able to register until cleared by her/his health care provider and be readmitted to the University. See below for details.
Requirements to Return from Medical Leave of Absence
Submit all letters to the Office of Academic Services, Nexus Building 145.
- Student must request readmission.
- Student must submit letter from a licensed health care provider.
- If possible the letter should be from the same provider who recommended the leave.
- If that person is unable to provide the letter, a health care professional from the same specialty may provide the letter.
- The letter must contain:
- treatment that has taken place during the leave.
- if needed, treatment plans after return from leave
- any recommended restrictions (i.e., reduced credit load)
- statement that student is medically able to return to school
- recommendation regarding student’s ability to return as a student and to function successfully while attending school.
- Adelphi University retains the right to obtain supplemental medical information
- Upon readmission copies of the medical documentation for the leave and the return will be filed with the Adelphi Health Services Center
This policy does not have definitions associated with it at this time. Upon periodic policy review this area will be evaluated to determine if additional information is needed to supplement the policy.
This policy does not have forms associated with it at this time. Upon periodic policy review this area will be evaluated to determine if additional information is needed to supplement the policy.
This policy does not have related information at this time. Upon periodic policy review this area will be evaluated to determine if additional information is needed to supplement the policy.
- Last Reviewed Date: October 2017
- Last Revised Date: October 2017
- Policy Origination Date: 2015
Who Approved This Policy
Les Baltimore, Associate Provost of Undergraduate Programs and Student Success