Adelphi University provides vacation time to eligible university staff for personal, family, community, and other outside needs and obligations.
Adelphi University provides vacation time to eligible university staff for personal, family, community, and other outside needs and obligations. Vacation time must be both approved and recorded by the staff member’s supervisor/department.
Reason for Policy
Adelphi University recognizes that the opportunity to have leisure time and to attend to personal matters unrelated to work is important to fostering a healthy work/life balance. The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines for the accrual of vacation time and its use.
Who Is Governed by this Policy
Non-union employees shall be entitled to vacation time based upon length of service. Vacation time is accrued for each month of completed service and must be taken in the same academic year. Vacation days may not be paid out if not taken in the vacation year earned. Vacation may not be carried over without written approval by the appropriate Executive Leadership member. All vacation carry-over must be pre-approved and normally taken by October 1st or it will be forfeited. Unused carryover vacation days will not be paid out at termination of employment.
All full-time and part-time non-union employees (scheduled to work 25 hours or more per week on a regular basis) are eligible for vacation benefits. Vacation for union represented employees is covered in the collective bargaining agreements.
Eligible employees are entitled to vacation time off with pay based upon full months of service as follows:
|Full-time Administrative and Non-union Clerical Employees who Commenced Working after December 31, 1994:|
|Years of Service||Days of Vacation||Accrued at|
|6 mo<1yr||10 Max||1.67/MO|
|1 yr and >||20||1.67/MO|
|Full-time and Non-Union Employees who Commenced Working Prior to January 1, 1995:|
|Years of Service||Days of Vacation||Accrued at|
Part-time non-union employees receive a prorated percentage of vacation time based upon their work schedule and their date of hire.
All requests to use vacation time must be made in writing in advance and approved in writing by the Department Head/Dean. It is the employee’s responsibility to learn the department’s requirements as to how much advance notice is needed.
Employees who leave the employ of Adelphi University for any reason shall be entitled to be paid for accrued but unused vacation days only if adequate notice is provided (see Resignation From Employment) with the exception of unused carryover vacation days.
When more than one employee in a department requests the same vacation period, where possible, the employee with the most service should be given preference.
Vacation time must be taken by August 31st of the academic year in which it was earned.
In the case of death of an employee, payment for the accrued, unused vacation time shall be made to the estate of the deceased employee, with the exception of unused carryover vacation days.
Days Off During Vacation
- If an officially observed holiday falls during an employee’s vacation, that day will not be charged as vacation time.
- If a death in the immediate family occurs when an employee is on vacation, the allotted time provided under the Bereavement Leave will not be charged as vacation time.
- No allowances will be made for periods of sickness occurring during vacations; however, an exception will be made when an employee is confined to a hospital. In this case, vacation days will not be charged against the period of such hospitalization and subsequent recovery time immediately following such.
- Extra days off will not be granted for special office closings or early dismissal such as, but not limited to, storms, power failures, etc. occurring during the employee’s vacation.
Vacation Days During an Emergency Closing
For Non-Union Employees:
In the event of a scheduled vacation day on a day which was subsequently designated by the University as an emergency closing, the employee will NOT be charged for the vacation day as originally approved. The employee’s timesheet will reflect the emergency closing (e.g., a snow day, flood, etc.) for the day or portion of the day (.5) if the University closed early.
For Union Employees:
In the event of a scheduled vacation day on a day which was subsequently designated by the University as an emergency closing, the applicable Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) will supersede University policy. Union employees should refer to their CBA for further details on emergency closings.
- Vacation pay is calculated on the basis of an employee’s regular rate of pay and work week in effect at the time the vacation is taken.
- Payment in lieu of vacation not taken shall not be permitted except in case of termination of employment, resignation, retirement or death of the employee.
- Due to the fact that the University provides employees with direct deposit into their checking accounts, vacation pay advances will not be given.
- It is the direct responsibility of each manager to ensure that all employees take their accrued vacation time and that the office has adequate coverage.
- To assist the University in maintaining accurate records, employees are required to complete a Monthly Attendance Form or a Bi-Weekly Attendance Sheet. This form must be approved by the employee’s manager and submitted to the Office of Human Resources each month.
- Absences for vacation should be reported on the Attendance Sheets, and Monthly Vacation Form as “V” along with dates vacation was taken.
This policy does not have definitions associated with it at this time. Upon periodic policy review this area will be evaluated to determine if additional information is needed to supplement the policy.
This policy does not have related information at this time. Upon periodic policy review this area will be evaluated to determine if additional information is needed to supplement the policy.
- Last Reviewed Date: March 15, 2023
- Last Revised Date: March 9, 2021
- Policy Origination Date: Unknown
Who Approved This Policy
John Siderakis, Chief Administrative Officer