Students who require personal care attendant services are strongly encouraged, where possible, to hire a PCA who is not a family member, friend, or another student.

Adelphi University understands that a Personal Care Attendants (PCA) may be necessary to address the personal needs of a student with a disability (SWD) in order for that student to fully participate at the University. Students who require personal care attendant services are strongly encouraged, where possible, to hire a PCA who is not a family member, friend, or another student.

Reason for Policy

The purpose of this policy is to address the specific procedures associated with requests for PCA’s on campus; describe the student’s responsibilities with respect to his or her PCA; describe the PCA’s responsibilities as a member of the campus community, including accessing University facilities and residential housing; and explain the University’s role in this process.

Who is Governed by this Policy

Students attending the University, including students who reside in residential housing and require extended and overnight services of a PCA.


In accordance with all state and federal law, including Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and the Fair Housing Act, no otherwise qualified person with a disability shall, solely by reason of his or her disability, be excluded from the participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program or activity. In accordance with these laws and corresponding regulations, the University is
committed to providing accommodations to otherwise qualified individuals with disabilities in services, programs, and/or activities.

Students who seek accommodations must register with the Student Access Office (“SAO”) on campus. The University will review all requests for reasonable accommodations on an individualized and case-by-case basis.

The University recognizes that certain students who have a documented need for assistance with activities of daily living and/or nursing care may be entitled to the services of a PCA. An otherwise qualified student who requires personal attendant services is responsible for making arrangements to provide for his/her own personal attendant service. The University does not provide individuals with personal devices or services of a personal nature, including assistance with personal care services (i.e., dressing, bathing, feeding, transfers, errands, etc.). The responsibility for hiring, compensating, training, and supervising these services belongs to the student needing care. The University does not assume coordination or financial responsibilities for the services of a PCA, and the University is not liable for the acts of the PCA.

The University reserves the right to remove any PCA who fails to abide by the policies and procedures:

The PCA’s non-student ID card access may be subject to removal from the residence halls, expulsion from the University campus, loss of all privileges and/or any other action the University considers appropriate in the event the University determines that the PCA has acted in a manner inconsistent with University policies and/or procedures. The PCA may be removed from campus immediately regardless of the contractual arrangement the PCA has with the student.


Personal Care Attendant (PCA): is a person who has been hired to support a student with a disability to live a more independent life by performing personal care services, or other health care needs or activities of daily living. A PCA works directly for and is employed by the student with a disability. The kind of tasks a PCA performs is comparable to those that a family member or medical personnel would perform and will vary from person to person. Possible tasks performed by a PCA may include, but are not limited to the following:

  • Provide help with activities of daily living, such as, bathing, dressing, feeding, toileting, grooming.
  • Housekeeping
  • Meal preparation or assistance with eating
  • Positioning or transferring to and from a wheelchair/scooter
  • Running errands
  • Monitoring any medical conditions by observing vital signs
  • Reminding to take prescribed medications
  • Transporting and/or escorting
  • Turning pages, retrieving books
  • Taking off and putting on coats
  • Opening doors

Student with a Disability (SWD): is an otherwise qualified individual who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, as specified according to the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (2008).


Student Responsibility

  • Contact the Student Access Office (“SAO”) as soon as possible to discuss and request reasonable accommodations, including a PCA on campus. Contact information for the Student Access Office.
  • Secure a PCA through an agency prior to attending any University-related activity, i.e. orientation, placement testing, registration, and class attendance. (The University will not be responsible for providing a PCA on an interim basis.)
    • Please note that the PCA Agency must provide a guarantee that all employed attendants, are certified or licensed accordingly. Agencies must be bonded and check that annual health clearance with PPD is completed.
  • Obtain a Personal Care Attendant Agreement (“PCA Agreement”) from the SAO and return the form to the SAO prior to the PCA’s commencement of employment. A copy of the form is attached to this policy.
    • Students are responsible for providing a copy of the PCA Agreement to their PCA.
    • A copy of the PCA Agreement will also be provided to Public Safety.
  • Ensure that the following documents are submitted for each PCA to Residential Life & Housing:
    • Provide a copy of the PCA’s criminal background check.
    • Provide a copy of the contract/terms of employment between the PCA Agency and the student.
    • Provide proof of PCA’s immunizations to Health Services Center. Each PCA must meet the same immunization requirements as our students to live in residence; for example measles, mumps and rubella immunizations.
    • Provide the response to meningitis form at Health Services.
  • Ensure that each PCA registers with the Office of Public Safety once the PCA Agreement form is completed and submitted to the SAO.
  • The student cannot bring a PCA onto campus until this process is complete.
  • Ensure that if PCA personnel changes occur during the semester, the student and the new PCA: (1) registers with the SAO, Residential Life and Housing (when applicable), and the Office of Public Safety; (2) submit all relevant paperwork listed herein; and (3) sign a new PCA Agreement form and submit the form to the SAO.
  • Ensure that all PCA ID cards and/or residence hall keys are immediately returned to the Office of Residential Life and Housing in the event a PCA’s
    employment with the student is terminated. All lost keys and IDs will be billed to the student.
  • Direct the activities of the PCA while at the University. Accept responsibility for the behavior and actions of the PCA while on campus.
  • Have a backup plan or alternative plan of action should the regular PCA not be available to work with the student on a particular day or in a particular class.
  • Adhere to the University’s Code of Conduct and Adelphi’s Guide to Student Life as well as any and all other University policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.

Personal Care Attendant (PCA) Responsibility

  • Adhere to the University’s Code of Conduct and Adelphi’s Guide to Student Life, as well as any and all other University policies, rules, regulations, and procedures.
  • Complete and sign the PCA Agreement each academic year, submit to the SAO and adhere to the requirements within.
  • Carry his/her University issued ID at all times while on campus. PCA’s will only be able to access the student campus housing while classes are in session or if the student has properly secured permission to be on campus during break sessions.
  • Conduct him/herself in a courteous and professional manner while on campus.
  • Not discuss any confidential information about the student with faculty, staff, or students.
  • Allow the student to take responsibility for his/her own academic progress and/or behavior.
  • Refrain from contact with or asking questions of faculty, staff, or others on behalf of the student.
  • Refrain from intervening in conversations between the student and faculty, staff or other students.
  • Refrain from working on or completing any of the student’s academic assignments.

Should it be determined upon review of appropriate, supporting documentation, that it is medically necessary for the PCA to accompany the student into the classroom, the PCA will:

  • Not engage in disruptive or distracting behavior. Examples of such behavior include, but are not limited to, conversing with the student, personal use of electronic devices, reading, eating, etc.
  • Refrain from actively participating in class.
  • Refrain from actively participating in the testing or assessment process.
  • Not photograph or record any classroom activity.

University Responsibility

  • Issue non-student PCA’s University Courtesy ID cards once the PCA has passed the required background check, signed the PCA Agreement form, and presented him or herself to the Public Safety Office for a photo ID. (Note: Relief PCA’s who are not current students are subject to the same expectations as primary PCA’s, including background checks.)
  • The University will assume financial responsibility for the cost of the bed for the approved PCA in housing and will not charge an additional fee for an approved PCA to occupy a residence hall room with a student.


Related Information

Document History

  • Last Reviewed Date: July 29, 2022
  • Last Reviewed Date: August 7, 2019
  • Last Revised Date: August 1, 2022
  • Policy Origination Date: September 11, 2013

Policy Approved By

  • Hayley B. Dryer, Partner – Cullen and Dykman LLP
  • Ellen Caravella, Director of Enterprise Risk Management, Ethics, and Compliance
  • Executive Leadership approved this policy on September 2, 2020

Policy Owner

Phone Number
More Info
Ruth S. Harley University Center, 314
Search Menu