A leader in the field of energy conservation and recycling, Adelphi University teaches by example. The University is in the forefront of developing programs and policies that will ensure an environmentally friendly and fuel efficient environment.
Green at the UC
Environmentally friendly materials — and a major recycling event.
Adelphi vs. the Spotted Lanternfly
In the last few years, the Adelphi grounds crew has joined the northeastern United States search-and-destroy mission related to a pesky insect: the spotted lanternfly.
The University is committed to:
- Decreasing our reliance on fossil fuel
- Reducing energy use and improving energy efficiency
- Utilizing alternative forms of energy wherever possible
- Decreasing the production of emissions that contribute to climate change
- Conserving energy in information technology and computer usage
- Pesticide-free grounds, relying 100% on natural, organic techniques
- Recycling efforts
- Greener construction
- Harnessing solar energy
- Using Green Seal® products
- Replacing Public Safety patrol vehicles with hybrid vehicles
- Encouraging the use of public transportation by providing free shuttle service to all major hubs for students, faculty and staff
Over a decade ago, Adelphi became the only higher education institution in the region to install a geothermal heating and cooling system that decreased New Hall’s dependence on electricity by an estimated 30%.
We continue to search for new ways to improve energy efficiency and to use products that are beneficial to us and to the environment. Adelphi was inspected by the Environmental Protection Agency in 2006 for compliance with all regulations dealing with health, environment and disposal of hazardous waste. Adelphi was the only educational institution in the region to pass this inspection without any fines or penalties.
Sustainability in Action
Earth Month: April
Over 52 years ago, Georgia Senator Gaylord Nelson established the first Earth Day in 1970. The day was created to call national attention to the lack of environmental regulation and increasing pollution conditions happening at the time. Today we continue this mission to educate ourselves on the environment, advocate for sustainability, achieve a clean and healthy environment, and advocate environmental justice for all.
Dining Services’ Sustainability Commitment
Dining Services takes an aggressive approach towards maintaining an environmentally sound dining program and is constantly seeking new and improved ways to further develop our environmental plan.