A leader in the field of energy conservation and recycling, Adelphi University teaches by example. The University is in the forefront of developing programs and policies that will ensure an environmentally friendly and fuel efficient environment.
Green at the UC
Environmentally friendly materials -- and a major recycling event.
Ladybugs, Not Pesticide
Read how our grounds crew has stopped chemical fertilizer and pesticides in favor of organic fertilizer and natural pest control, including the release of thousands of ladybugs.
The University is committed to:
- Decreasing our reliance on fossil fuel
- Reducing energy use and improving energy efficiency
- Utilizing alternative forms of energy wherever possible
- Decreasing the production of emissions that contribute to climate change
- Conserving energy in information technology and computer usage
- Pesticide-free grounds, relying 100% on natural, organic techniques
- Recycling efforts
- Greener construction
- Harnessing solar energy
- Using Green Seal® products
- Replacing Public Safety patrol vehicles with hybrid vehicles
- Encouraging the use of public transportation by providing free shuttle service to all major hubs for students, faculty and staff
- Encouraging carpooling and ridesharing by offering the Panther Share rideshare service
Over a decade ago, Adelphi became the only higher education institution in the region to install a geothermal heating and cooling system that decreased New Hall’s dependence on electricity by an estimated 30%.
We continue to search for new ways to improve energy efficiency and to use products that are beneficial to us and to the environment. Adelphi was inspected by the Environmental Protection Agency in 2006 for compliance with all regulations dealing with health, environment and disposal of hazardous waste. Adelphi was the only educational institution in the region to pass this inspection without any fines or penalties.
What You Can Do
Adelphi University would like to remind the community that energy efficiency is beneficial to both your wallet and the environment.