New Employee Onboarding
Onboarding programs assist staff in understanding institutional values and culture, and as a result, encourage commitment to the institution. As an ongoing process, onboarding begins during recruitment and selection, and continues as needed throughout the individual's employment.
Onboarding programs assist staff in understanding institutional values and culture, and as a result, encourage commitment to the institution. As an ongoing process, onboarding begins during recruitment and selection, and continues as needed throughout the individual’s employment.
Reason for Policy
This policy provides the university’s rules for new employee onboarding.
Who Is Governed by this Policy
Faculty and Staff
The Office of Human Resources will schedule all new full-time employees and part-time, non-faculty employees for an onboarding program covering general University policies, rules and matters such as employee status, pay, values, strategic plan, service excellence, and fringe benefits. Attendance at new employee onboarding is mandatory for non-faculty employees.
This policy does not have definitions associated with it at this time. Upon periodic policy review this area will be evaluated to determine if additional information is needed to supplement the policy.
- Each new employee will be advised of the date and time he/she has been scheduled for onboarding.
- A Departmental onboarding will also be provided covering such topics as hours of work; job responsibilities; absence/lateness call-in procedures; safety procedures; and other requirements.
- New non-exempt employees scheduled to attend an onboarding session at a time other than that at which they have been scheduled to work shall be paid for attendance at orientation.
- Upon, or prior to commencement of employment, pertinent policies and procedures must be communicated to, and the appropriate forms completed by, all new employees, including the following:
- I-9 form
- Tax forms – federal, state and city (where applicable)
- Hours of Work
- Time Sheets
- Holiday Schedule
- Vacation and Sick Policy
- Review of Benefits
- Security Procedures
- Information Systems Policy and Procedures
- Call-in Procedures
- Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Anti-Discrimination Harassment and Retaliation Policy and Workshop/Training Instructions
- Smoking Policy
- Conflict of Interest Policy
- Drug Free Policy
- Employee Handbook
- Tuition Remission Policy
- Direct Deposit Forms
- Union Dues (where applicable)
- Probationary Period (where applicable)
5. A subsequent onboarding program will take place approximately five to six times per year covering topics including Momentum (Adelphi’s Strategic Plan), service excellence, diversity and a campus tour. This program is mandatory for non-faculty employees.
This policy does not have related information at this time. Upon periodic policy review this area will be evaluated to determine if additional information is needed to supplement the policy.
- Last Reviewed Date: March 16, 2023
- Last Revised Date: March 16, 2023
- Policy Origination Date: Unknown
Who Approved This Policy
John Siderakis, Chief Administrative Officer