Build a strong foundation with our couples therapy counseling certification.
Why Earn Your Certificate in Couples Therapy at Adelphi?
The Adelphi University Postgraduate Program in Couple Therapy is a two-year part-time course of study that offers an integrated approach to couples treatment which is grounded in a theory encompassing both family systems and diverse psychodynamic points of view. Candidates in our program will:
- Expand their theoretical knowledge and develop effective and practical clinical skills and interventions.
- Develop the proficiency to work with a wide range of couples.
- Study with faculty who are at the forefront of current scholarly and clinical practice in couple and marital treatment.
Our mission is to educate and train mental health professionals in psychoanalytic-systemic couples therapy to enable them to become flexible in the use of a wide variety of approaches to couples treatment. We encourage candidates to develop their own styles and methodologies in working with couples through the process of course work, supervision, and clinical practice.
Weekly Commitment for Couples Therapy Candidates
- Two 90-minute seminars on Wednesday evening 6:00 p.m. – 9:15 p.m.
- Individual 45-minute supervision (scheduled at the candidate’s convenience)
- Providing couple treatment through the Postgraduate
- Psychotherapy Center or the candidate’s private practice
- Personal psychotherapy
94%** Adelphi University Career Outcomes Survey: Class of 2018
All couples therapy programs in 2020-2021 are offered live online via Zoom.
Licensed and license-eligible practitioners in the following mental health fields are eligible to apply to the program: Social Workers, Mental Health Counselors, Psychologists, Marriage and Family Therapists, Clinical Nurse Practitioners, Psychiatrists, Psychoanalysts, and Art Therapists.
Applicants for this program and should submit the following:
- Graduate application and $50 fee
- Professional license and copy of current malpractice insurance coverage certificate
- Two letters of recommendation from an academic or professional source
- Personal essay (500 words)
- All official college/university transcripts
The applicant will be contacted for a personal interview.