Advanced training with our child and adolescent psychotherapy training.
Why Earn Your Certificate in Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy at Adelphi?
This three-year postgraduate program provides advanced training in psychodynamic psychotherapy with children and adolescents and their parents. Candidates develop their ability to:
- Integrate neurodevelopmental, psychoanalytic and family systems perspectives in their understanding of children and adolescents
- Work effectively in child and adolescent psychotherapy and parent counseling
- Develop leadership skills in community agencies, hospitals, schools and private practice.
The Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy course curriculum is designed to help candidates develop a solid base of knowledge about normal development, family systems and the contributions of classical and contemporary psychoanalytic theories to child and adolescent psychotherapy. This lays a foundation for learning about psychopathology, treatment issues and the therapeutic process at different developmental stages.
Weekly Commitment for Child and Adolescent Psychotherapy Candidates
- Two 90-minute seminars on Wednesday evenings at 6:00-9:15 pm
- A rotation among group supervision/processing/intake supervision on Wednesdays 5:00-6:00 pm
- Individual 45-minute supervision (scheduled at the candidate’s convenience)
- Providing psychotherapy to patients through the Postgraduate Psychotherapy Center or the candidate’s private practice (number of clinical hours are specific to each program)
- Personal psychotherapy/psychoanalysis (weekly frequency depends on the specific program)
90%** Adelphi University Career Outcomes Survey: Class of 2019
Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship
Individuals with a PsyD or PhD in clinical, counseling or school psychology may be eligible to complete this program on a full tuition waiver as part of the Postdoctoral Psychology Fellowship.
Applicants for this program and should submit the following:
- A doctorate or master’s degree in a mental health field
- Online application form and $50 fee
- Two letters of recommendation from an academic or professional source
- Personal essay (500 words)
- All official college/university transcripts
Two interviews with members of the Postgraduate Admissions Committee will be arranged.