Gain the tools, training and hands-on experience you’ll need to help create a greener future.
Why Earn Your BA in Environmental Studies?
Wherever you go, you’ll have the knowledge and skills to help take on environmental issues and the ability to make a difference in a number of rewarding careers including as a high school teacher, environmental scientist, hydrologist, policy developer, research and development manager, or sustainability consultant.
Why Major in Environmental Studies at Adelphi?
- Receive personal attention from world-class faculty as you design a unique program of study tailored to your personal and professional goals.
- Immerse yourself in fieldwork on Long Island or as far away as the Great Barrier Reef of Australia or the Alaskan wilderness.
- Translate your passion for sustainability into a rewarding career devoted to improving our environment.
What Can You Do With a Degree in Environmental Studies and Science?
Wherever you go, you’ll have the knowledge and skills to help take on environmental issues. Make a difference as a high school teacher, environmental scientist, hydrologist, policy developer, research and development manager or sustainability consultant.
Minor & Degree Options
Recognizing the interplay of technology, culture, economics and politics involved in the issues facing the future of our planet, we take an interdisciplinary approach to environmental studies. We give our students a solid grounding in the natural and social sciences, allowing them to focus on the areas they wish to pursue.
Minor in Environmental Studies
The environmental studies minor offers students from every major a basic grounding in the scientific, technical, social and cultural issues presented by the interaction of human beings with their environment and the need to build a more environmentally sustainable future.
Accelerated Environmental Studies Program
This exciting 4+1 program gives students a solid foundation in climate and environmental studies, with a particular emphasis on human adaptations to climate change and environmental degradation or topics like green energy or promoting environmentally-friendly societies.
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
Classroom learning is just the beginning of your environmental studies education at Adelphi. From the nearby shores of Nassau County to destinations across the globe, providing field experience is a vital part of our curriculum. Experiential opportunities include:
- Adelphi’s backyard: Join faculty in getting your feet wet in the 75-mile South Shore Estuary Reserve on Long Island.
- Alaska: Immerse yourself in a true wilderness, where you’ll dig for prehistoric artifacts using state-of-the-art research technologies while you learn archeological fundamentals.
- Australia: Dive into the breathtaking biodiversity of the Great Barrier Reef and the Australian rain forest as you conduct intensive field-based research.
- Wyoming: Excavate dinosaurs and discover past environments against the backdrop of a beautiful national park.
To apply for this program, submit the appropriate application requirements:
Transformative Educational Opportunities
All undergraduate students have the opportunity to apply for the following programs to expand their educational landscape:
- The Honors College – fostering intellectual perspectives and critical skills
- Levermore Global Scholars – preparing students to become global thinkers and leaders
- Study Abroad – providing opportunities to experience another culture and see the world from a new perspective
- Volunteer – use your passion for the environment to help your community.