Our American Chemical Society-approved programs will prepare you for a rewarding career in the industry of chemistry.
Chemistry majors are in demand for many different occupational fields. This degree will prepare you for graduate work in chemistry, biochemistry, forensics, teaching, pharmacy and chemical engineering and is an excellent degree for students planning to apply to medical or dental schools.
Why Major in Chemistry at Adelphi?
- Learn in small classes with expert faculty who are focused on your success.
- Conduct research under the mentorship of a faculty member using state-of-the-art equipment and present your research results at conferences throughout the New York area and beyond.
- Continue on to a prestigious graduate program or begin your career in chemistry.
What Can You Do with a Degree in Chemistry?
Chemistry majors are in demand for many different occupational fields. This degree will prepare you for graduate work in chemistry, biochemistry, forensics, teaching, pharmacy and chemical engineering. It’s also an excellent degree for students planning to apply to medical or dental school.
Minor & Joint Degree Options
A minor in chemistry provides students with a general chemistry background and an opportunity for more in-depth study of chemical subdisciplines that include organic, physical, analytical, inorganic and biochemistry.
Biochemistry and chemistry majors at Adelphi have the opportunity to accelerate their path to a rewarding professional career by completing a joint degree in dentistry or engineering. Learn more about the application process for these programs
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
Adelphi’s annual Research and Creative Works Conference provides a great opportunity for students from all disciplines—many of whom are chemistry and biochemistry students—to showcase their work to faculty and the rest of our community.
Our students have applied their on-campus research knowledge to real-life settings through partnerships with institutions throughout the New York metropolitan area, including:
- Brookhaven National Laboratories
- Estée Lauder Companies Inc.
- Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research
- New York Hall of Science
Our research and teaching laboratories provide hands-on experiences for students. As a chemistry/biochemistry major, you will collaborate with faculty who are committed to their role as mentor and teacher—conducting research on state-of-the-art equipment, including:
- A nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectrometer—giving students and faculty the ability to analyze the structure, interaction and underlying forces of molecules
- UV-visible spectrometers
- An atomic absorption (AA) spectrometer
- An atomic force microscope (AFM)
- A fluorometer with a 96-well plate reader
- Equipment for fast protein liquid chromatography (FPLC)
- High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
- Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectroscopy/Infrared (GC/MS/IR) capabilities
Solar Energy Research Shines
Adelphi students will return to Poland for eight weeks of collaboration with the University of Warsaw on photochemistry and nanotechnology research, thanks to a solar energy project funded by a $300,000 National Science Foundation grant.
To apply for this program, submit the appropriate application requirements:
Transformative Educational Opportunities
All undergraduate students have the opportunity to apply for the following programs to expand their educational landscape: