Awards, Rankings & Fast Facts
With roots that stretch back to the 1860s, Adelphi University has been transforming lives with our unique approach to learning for more than 150 years.
Throughout the decades, we’ve welcomed students from around the globe, expanded our academic offerings and geographic reach, and celebrated significant milestones in diversity, rankings, and successful outcomes.
Today, we’re thriving and making a life-changing impact on students, the community and world.
Wonderful things are happening at Adelphi, and others are taking notice. We’re proud to be nationally recognized by well-respected national publications and educational organizations.
Ranked a U.S. News & World Report Best College
For a third consecutive year, U.S. News & World Report ranked Adelphi a Best College among national universities. The media and rankings giant also named Adelphi:
- Best College for Veterans
- Best Value School
- Top Performer on Social Mobility
Highly Ranked Graduate Program
U.S. News & World Report also released its 2022 rankings for Best Graduate Schools. The following program has ranked in the top 200 among 2,000 programs in the United States.
- Best Grad School for Nursing
After a review of over 1200 schools, Adelphi earned a U.S. News & World Report Best Online Master’s in Education.
No. 1 for Career Guidance
Adelphi University won the 2020 John L. Blackburn Exemplary Models Award from the American Association of University Administrators (AAUA) for our innovative Prep for Success program. Created by our Center for Career and Professional Development, the program helps students with everything from the most basic job-search skills to valuable work experience through paid internships with leading organizations.
Adelphi University is one of 23 New York institutions named a 2020–2021 Career Development College of Distinction. This national award recognizes Adelphi’s superior ability to create strategic career plans and equip our students with the skills necessary to succeed after they graduate.
Highest Honors for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
For the third consecutive year, Adelphi has received the 2020 INSIGHT Into Diversity Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award—a national recognition given to the top 90 colleges and universities with an outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- 2020 District II CASE awards for Diversity in Programming
- 2020 Institutional Excellence Award from the National Association of Diversity Officers in Higher Education
- 2020 Inspiring Affinity Group Award from Insight into Diversity
- 2020 Newman Civic Fellowship
Award-Winning Mentoring and Career Guidance Provide an Upward Path
U.S. News & World Report ranked Adelphi as a 2021 Top Performer on Social Mobility, a distinction for schools that enroll and graduate the largest proportion of students receiving need-based Pell Grants. This award recognizes the many support programs Adelphi offers our students, which engage students more deeply in campus life and provide a pathway to a degree and career success.
Colleges of Distinction has awarded Adelphi University an Equity and Inclusion recognition for our efforts to enroll and support a diverse student body through high-impact practices that are accessible to all.
125-Year History, Top Leadership, Stable Future
Standard & Poor’s (S&P), the global leader in financial market intelligence, has reaffirmed Adelphi University’s rating of A- with a stable outlook.
Top Honors to Adelphi’s President Christine M. Riordan, PhD
Adelphi University’s 10th president and the first woman to serve in the role.
- The Council for Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) awarded Dr. Riordan their highest honor in 2021 for her “outstanding efforts in promoting the understanding and support of education.” The organization also cited her leadership during the COVID-19 pandemic—both at Adelphi and across our region as a guiding voice in New York state’s higher education restart plan.
- Diverse: Issues In Higher Education magazine named her one of 25 Top Women in Higher Education Who Are Making a Difference
- Internationally recognized expert in leadership development, team building, and diversity and inclusion
- Recognized for her groundbreaking initiatives to personalize and transform the higher education experience
- Chair, board member and serves on the executive committee for the Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities in New York (CICU)
- Named to the 2020 Long Island Power List for creating a more diverse student body, launching 17 new academic programs, and sharing her expertise on the handling of COVID-19 on college campuses
Additional Honors, Awards & Distinctions
- Money’s Best College for Your Money: No. 292 on a list of the 744 best four-year colleges in the United States for education quality, affordability and earnings
- Niche.com: Top 25 percent of its Best Value Colleges in America rankings
- Georgetown University reported, in its ranking of 4,500 schools, that an investment in Adelphi yields a 14 percent higher earnings than the average of all private or public higher education institutions in New York.
- HEED Award: 2019 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (INSIGHT Into Diversity)
- College Choice: 50 Best Disability-Friendly Colleges and Universities
- 2020 Institution of Excellence Awards (National Association of Diversity Officers)
- Gold Medallion Status: LGBT SportSafe
- 4.5 out of 5 stars in the Campus Pride Index (Garden City campus)
- Best Colleges for Veterans (>U.S. News & World Report)
- Military Friendly School designation—just 8 percent of schools nationwide named to the prestigious list in 2019–2020
- Best Colleges for Students with Autism—No. 10 in the nation (Great Value Colleges)
- Women’s Choice Award: Top Colleges for Women
Others honors include:
- American Chemical Society approved chemistry program
- 2019 Inspiring Program in STEM Award for educating science teachers (INSIGHT Into Diversity)
- 2019 Exemplary Models Award for personalized enrollment process (American Association of University Administrators)
- 2019 ATHENA Young Professionals Leadership Award (ATHENA International, awarded to our director of first-year admissions.)
- 17 national championships
- 223 NCAA tournament appearances
- 109 Northeast-10 Conference championships
- 4 Northeast-10 Presidents’ Cups
- 2019 Princeton Review Green School
- LEED-certified center for recreation and sports and performing arts center (U.S. Green Building Council)
- 100 percent natural, organic techniques to maintain campus flora
- 180 solar panels installed on our library’s roof
- 20,000 pounds of e-waste recycled between 2014 and 2019
- Top honoree in Computerworld’s inaugural Best Practices in Green IT awards program for excellence among early adopters of the green IT movement