Awaken your imagination and sharpen your communication skills by becoming a part of our thriving literary community.
Why Earn Your BA in English?
English majors enjoy successful careers as teachers, lawyers, publishers, editors, librarians, engineers, doctors, lawyers, writers, ad executives, administrators, social media managers, academics, journalists, web producers and more.
Why Major in English at Adelphi?
- Receive personal attention in small, seminar-style classes and individualize your education through meaningful extracurricular enrichment.
- Learn from leading scholars and authors who are nationally recognized for their writing and research.
- Develop the intellectual tools to launch the career of your choice, whether you’re interested in writing—fiction, nonfiction, poetry or playwriting—or any other pursuit.
Minor in English
The minor in English is an excellent pairing with any major at Adelphi. Enhance your future prospects by gaining the communication and critical assessment skills valued by graduate schools and employers alike.
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
Dive headfirst into the literary world and take advantage of a wide range of opportunities from hands-on work experiences to engaging with leading writers. Adelphi students have interned at:
- Founding Footsteps
- Hannacroix Press
- Peace Corps
- PEN America
- Rural & Migrant Ministry Inc.
- Walt Whitman House
- W. W. Norton and Company
As part of our commitment to fostering a tight-knit literary community, the English program often hosts diverse literary voices—both emerging and established—for readings and talkbacks. Past visiting writers include:
- Amy Hempel
- Alice Hoffman ’73, ’02 (Hon.)
- Mark Jarman
- Tayari Jones
- Tracy K. Smith
- Jacqueline Woodson ’16 (Hon.)
To apply for this program, submit the appropriate application requirements:
Transformative Educational Opportunities
All undergraduate students have the opportunity to apply for the following programs to expand their educational landscape: