Study history of art from passionate scholars who care deeply about research and teaching.
What Can You Do with a Degree in Art History?
A bachelor’s degree in history of art (BA) is rather versatile and can prepare you for diverse career opportunities in a variety of cultural institutions, both public and private.
Work in museums, galleries, auction houses, libraries, and publishing houses. Thrive as researchers, archivists, art appraisers, gallerists, museum technicians, educators, art critics, curators, and administrators.
Consider broadening your education and professional opportunities by earning a Certificate in the Museum Studies Program, particularly designed to prepare students for a variety of careers and further graduate studies
Why Major in Art History at Adelphi?
- Benefit from working closely with faculty members who will advise you in your studies and guide you through your research.
- Receive one-on-one attention in small classes taught by our experienced art professors. Have the opportunity to take classes at some of the most famous museums in New York City.
- Become career-ready with the right tools and internship experiences to succeed outside the classroom.
Galleries and Exhibitions
We proudly display the work of our students and faculty at ongoing exhibitions in gallery spaces in both Garden City and Manhattan:
- Ruth S. Harley University Center Gallery
- Swirbul Library gallery
- Gallery of the Performing Arts Center
- Manhattan Center Gallery
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
Adelphi’s proximity to New York City with some of the most prominent museums and galleries in the world, as well as a wide variety of smaller-scale museums on Long Island, provides multiple opportunities to learn about the objects’ history, original contexts, collectors and collecting practices.
Some additional components and resources of our bachelor’s degree in art history include:
- Visiting artists and historians lecture series
- A seminar that meets weekly in the galleries of the Metropolitan Museum of Art
- The Contemporary Art class that meets in the museum and art galleries of Manhattan and Brooklyn
- Opportunity to work with the objects in the University Archives and Special Collections
- A two-week summer class in Florence, Italy that gives you an opportunity to study Renaissance art and architecture first-hand
- Possibility for a semester-long study abroad
Bachelor of Art History | Art History Degree Program
Discover Adelphi University’s Art History degree program committed to provide students with numerous learning opportunities within the world of fine arts, architecture, design, photography, and crafts. By studying the diverse artistic traditions, we strive to better understand the original contexts of the works of art, while exercising critical thinking and analytical skills.
To apply for this program, submit the appropriate application requirements:
Transformative Educational Opportunities
All undergraduate students have the opportunity to apply for the following programs to expand their educational landscape:
Art History Lecture Hall
Senior Art Studios
Graphic Design and Digital Production
Painting and Drawing
Art History Lecture HallWith small class sizes, the art history lecture hall located in Blodgett Hall offers one-on-one attention from our experienced art professors. 2 Photos
Senior Art StudiosIndividual studio space for BFA Studio and Art and Design Education students is available in their senior year. 2 Photos
Printmaking StudioThe 1400-square-foot printmaking area is well equipped to support a number of different printmaking techniques including all varieties of intaglio, solarplate, monotype, relief, and screenprint printmaking. 3 Photos
Graphic Design and Digital ProductionWe have 2 digital labs that include 40 Mac Pro computers equipped with a full suite of art and design software, 2 large format archival color inkjet printers, 4 color printers, 6 scanners, and 20 Wacom tablets. 4 Photos
Painting and DrawingThe 3 painting and drawing studios are well lit and feature skylights, easels, and designated storage areas for canvas and 2D work. 8 Photos
Awards & Recognition