Change of Address

As an F-1 status international student, you are required to provide your physical and mailing address to your school. You also must regularly report any changes to your designated school official (DSO) to ensure that your information is correct in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). Federal regulations require that you report a change of address within 10 days to your DSO to maintain your student status.

Citizenship and Immigration Services

You can obtain legal resources, find USCIS filing forms, or check U.S. adjudication case status.

Driving in the United States

International students and scholars, and their dependents, may be eligible to drive a motor vehicle while residing in the United States. However, those who wish to operate a vehicle must successfully understand the driving rules and requirements and apply for and receive a driver’s license.

Educational and Cultural Affairs

The U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) works to build friendly, peaceful relations between the people of the United States and the people of other countries through academic, cultural, sports, and professional exchanges, as well as public-private partnerships. They are responsible for the functions relating to the issuance of U.S. Visas for students and scholars. They also manage the Diversity Visa Lottery.

Employment Requirements

Get to know the employment requirements and information about social security.

Full Course of Study Requirements

International students are required to enroll in a “full course of study” each semester. This includes 12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students. Students wishing to enroll in less than a full course of study must meet the appropriate requirements and be authorized by International Services prior to the drop below a full course of study. If the student does not gain authorization from International Services prior to the drop below a full course of study of the student will be considered out of status.

Health Services and Insurance

Health Insurance is mandatory for all Adelphi University international students. Health care in the United States is not nationalized, and expenses for doctors’ fees, hospitalization, laboratory fees and medications can be very expensive.

Making Tuition Payments

Following course registration, students will be eligible to pay tuition and fees which are due in full by August 1 for the Fall semester and January 6 for the Spring. If you need a copy of your bill or have any questions, please contact the Office of Student Financial Services.

Program Extension

Students may need to extend their F-1 status for an academic reason, a medical reason, or a designated school official (DSO) error. In these cases, DSOs can extend a student’s program of study prior to the program end date in SEVIS. For F-1 students, this update does not require the Student and Exchange Visitor Program’s (SEVP) adjudication. The Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) allows for an extension period of up to one year.

Reduced Course Load Information

As an international student, maintenance of status is dependent on enrollment in a full course of study. Students wishing to enroll in less than a full course of study must meet the appropriate requirements and be authorized by International Services.

Social Security Administration

Obtain information regarding the administration and the issuance of the social security number and card and other SSA information. Find out more about the international student process to file for a social security number (SSN).

Tax Requirements

All F-1 and J-1 international students and scholars who were present in the U.S. during any portion of the calendar year are required to file tax forms with the United States Internal Revenue Service for that year.

Transfer Process

Learn important information about the transfer process and what you are responsible for submitting.

Travel Advisories

Read about important travel advisories issued from the U.S. Department of State.

Travel as an International Student

Learn about the procedures for entry guidance of F-1 students into the United States.

Phone Number
More Info
Post Hall, 203
Search Menu