CPT is not a supplemental training experience but rather an “integral part of an established curriculum” meaning it is a required part of the degree or program of study in the form of alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or other types of required internship or practicum that a sponsoring employer offers through agreements with the academic school.

CPT can not be authorized to obtain real-world experience or to build your résumé. Students interested in practical training for these purposes must apply for OPT with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Examples of CPT include; internships (paid or unpaid), clinical experiences, field experience, student teaching, or the Jaggar Community Fellows Program.

Adelphi student Nootshy Romage worked with patients suffering from corneal disease as an intern at the Lions Eye Bank through the Jaggar Community Fellows Program.

International students interested in CPT should consult with their academic advisor for assistance in determining if the off-campus experience meets all academic requirements. Once course registration has been processed, the student must submit the Curricular Practical Training Request using the International Services Portal for authorization from the designated school official. Students must not begin any practical training without CPT authorization.

If the experience is not an academic experience required by the curriculum but a supplemental experience, students should speak with their designated school official and apply for pre-completion OPT.

CPT Facts

  • CPT is not employment experience. It is academic and must be treated as such
  • The CPT application process must follow the academic calendar “drop/add” dates
  • CPT must occur before a student’s program end date
  • Students must secure the training opportunity before CPT can be authorized
  • A student may begin curricular practical training only after receiving their Form I-20 with the DSO endorsement and not before the CPT start date indicated on the form
  • One year or more of full-time CPT eliminates students’ OPT eligibility at the same educational level
  • Students can have more than one CPT authorization at the same time
  • CPT authorization is needed for each employer and each training experience
  • CPT requires a signed cooperative agreement or letter from the employer
  • The designated school official authorizes CPT and it can not be backdated

CPT Request Process

Students meeting the listed eligibility requirements requesting curricular practical training authorization from the designated school official must take the following actions:

  1. Log into the International Services Portal using your eCampus credentials
  2. Locate the student request options and complete the curricular practical training request
  3. The student must provide the following; Training start and end date, Full or part-time, Employer name, Employer address, Type of training, Number of credits received, Course title and number associated, and an explanation of how the training is academic.
  4. Students applying for an elective training experience must provide a signed letter from the employer.
  5. The academic advisor must review and approve the academic training experience.
  6. The designated school official will review the request once complete and make a determination if the student meets the requirements. If so, the CPT will be authorized, a new I-20 issued, and the student notified.

Practical Training Workshops

International Services offers monthly workshops for interested students detailing the requirements and application process for interested students and advisors.

Phone Number
More Info
Post Hall, 203
  • Regular Semester Hours Mon - Fri: 8:30 am–4:30 pm
Connect With Us
Search Menu