Each year, our community and leadership recognize individual employees for extraordinary service to Adelphi University and outstanding demonstration of our shared values.
President’s Award for Excellence
The President’s Award for Excellence recognizes non-union and union staff members who help Adelphi University and our community achieve excellence and advance the goals, initiatives and values of Momentum and Momentum 2. The honorees of this award, regardless of their position level, continually seek to better themselves, their units and Adelphi, and serve as role models for all University community members.
- Up to two non-union and two union staff members (maximum of four total) are selected for the President’s Award for Excellence.
President’s Award for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
The President’s Award for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging recognizes one non-union or union staff member who contributes to Adelphi University being a place of belonging and a model of diversity, equity, inclusivity, and social justice. This annual award was established in 2020 to recognize those who demonstrate commitment to promoting and advancing the University’s core values in this area.
- One staff member, either union or non-union, is selected for the President’s Award for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging.
These annual President’s Awards allow the Adelphi community to shine a light on non-faculty employees for their impact, excellence and unique commitment to Adelphi. Annual Faculty Excellence Awards recognize full-time and adjunct faculty members.
Each President’s Award honoree receives a commemorative plaque and a cash award. Our awardees are announced in a campuswide communication from University President Christine Riordan and are additionally celebrated in a special edition of Headlines (formerly Insider).
Individuals who are nominated for the President’s Award for Excellence and the President’s Award for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging must meet the following criteria:
- They must be a non-faculty Adelphi employee—either union or non-union.
- They must have completed at least two continuous years of full‑time service in their department.
- They must not have received the award in the past five years. Former award recipients are eligible for renomination after five years. An individual who is nominated but not selected may be renominated.
- They cannot be a member of Executive Leadership, assistant or associate provost, assistant or associate vice president, executive director, dean, or academic department chair.
Faculty, fellow staff or administration may nominate an individual for the President’s Award for Excellence and the President’s Award for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging. Relatives of a nominee may not nominate them but may provide a letter of recommendation.
Using the online process described below, the nominator is responsible for assembling and submitting these materials:
- Completion of the online nomination form
- A letter of recommendation from the nominator (250 – 800 words)
- Two additional letters of recommendation from Adelphi community members (250 – 800 words)
Materials should address the following criteria with concrete examples:
- How the individual has helped Adelphi/our community achieve excellence in a mission-critical area
- How the individual exceeds typical standards of excellence by bettering themselves, their units and Adelphi
- How the individual is a role model for our community members
- How the individual’s efforts have helped advance one or more of the goals and values of Momentum/Momentum 2
- How the individual is a role model of diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging for our community members
- How the individual exceeds expectations to help to create a place of belonging at Adelphi or promotes our shared values of diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice
- How the individual’s efforts have helped Adelphi achieve one or more of the strategic priorities for diversity, equity, and inclusion in Momentum or Momentum 2
- Support of student success
- Integrity and accountability
- Adelphi pride
- Outstanding achievement in the workplace
- Exceptional contributions toward efficiency and effectiveness
- Distinguished service to the community, University projects or committees
- Special efforts in promoting diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging
Awardees of the President’s Award for Excellence and the President’s Award for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging are selected according to exceptionally high criteria by their respective selection committees. Deliberations of the committees are strictly confidential.
For optimum fairness, the selection committees include constituencies from across Adelphi:
- Previous honorees
- Local 153 representatives
- Faculty members
- Members of the Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging
Co-chairs for the committees receive and review all nominations to ensure they are complete and meet eligibility criteria. After committee deliberations, the final selected candidates are shared with the University President for review and final approval.
Each year, a minimum of six nominations for the President’s Award for Excellence and four for the President’s Award for Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging must be received by the deadline in order for the awards to be presented in a given year.
- Grace Adamo
- Rosemary Garabedian ’07, M.S. ’13
- Jacqueline Johnston Ph.D. ’18
- Shirley Komansky
2022 – Schanica Pickens
2021 – Meenakshi Elango
2020 – Raysa Amador, PhD