President’s Award for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The President’s Award for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is an award granted annually to an individual that has demonstrated a commitment to promoting and advancing diversity, inclusion and multiculturalism at Adelphi University.
Nominations are open for the 2021 President’s Award for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
We recognize the efforts of our community members who help advance Adelphi University’s goal to be a model of diversity, equity, inclusion, multiculturalism and antiracism. The President’s Award for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion was established in 2020 to annually recognize a non-faculty staff member who has demonstrated a commitment to promoting and advancing our core values and goals in this area.
At this time, we welcome staff nominations for a 2021 awardee. The nomination period will be open through March 22 – April 5, 2021
The awardee will receive a commemorative plaque and a $2,500 stipend. The honoree will be announced in a campus-wide communication and honored in a special celebratory edition of The Insider, along with the President’s Award for Excellence and Milestone Service awards of our long-standing employees.
Who is Eligible for the Award?
To be nominated for the President’s Award for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, the individual:
- Must be a non-faculty Adelphi employee (Faculty are eligible for Faculty Excellence Awards).
- Must have completed at least two years of continuous full‑time service in the department for which they work.
- Must not have received the award in the past five years.
The president, the Executive Leadership Team, assistant and associate provosts, assistant and associate vice presidents, executive directors, deans, academic department chairs, students and full‑time faculty are not eligible for this award.
Who Decides Who Receives the Award?
- A committee from the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and diverse constituents from our community; including students, faculty, staff from different departments, will select the awardee. The University President will approve a final decision.
- Nominations are welcome from anyone in the campus community, except relatives.
- The deliberations of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Office will be strictly confidential.
What are the Criteria for Selection?
- Recipients should be role models for the University, particularly supporting Goal #3 of Momentum, to establish Adelphi as a model of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Awardees should have helped Adelphi, or our community, reach at least 3 of the 2020-2021 priorities.
- Nominees are evaluated on the basis of substantive evidence included in the portfolio for each candidate.
- The responsibility for assembling and submitting the portfolio for each nominee rests with the nominator.
Nomination and Selection Process
To submit a nomination, please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject line: 2021 President’s Award for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion)
- A letter from the nominator (250 – 800 words each) that should clearly describe:
- How the nominee is a role model of diversity, equity and inclusion
- How the nominee contributed to three priorities of Momentum Goal 3
- Two additional letters of recommendation (250 – 800 words each).
- The nominee should not prepare their own portfolio or narrative statements on their own behalf. They can confirm employment dates at Adelphi and provide a list of names for letters of recommendation.
Raysa Amador Ph.D
Adelphi's First Presidential Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Award Recipient