Adelphi students who avail themselves of the many co-curricular and extra-curricular opportunities offered through the University can leverage these efforts and earn a credential that displays mastery in a portfolio of professional skills.
Our Career Success Digital Badging Program provides a framework that conveys students’ workplace competencies to prospective employers. Starting in Spring 2022, the program is designed to connect the dots between leadership roles, experiential learning opportunities, and career, and the “real world” of work.
The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) has identified the eight essential competencies that employers seek. The ability of candidates to provide evidence of these aptitudes provides demonstrable value to decision-makers in business whose success hinges on accurately assessing applicants’ career readiness.
Why a Digital Badge?
While physical badges have been in use for hundreds of years, the idea of digital badges is a relatively recent development.
- Demonstrable evidence of competence to potential employers
- Signal achievement, validating one’s reputation within the university and the workplace
- Enable students to demonstrate soft skills –so essential in business
- Inspire engagement, collaboration, innovation and flexibility
- Encrypted and secure, non-transferable and portable
- Promote lifelong learning extending beyond the classroom
- Highlight accomplishments that otherwise might have been hidden
- Badges can be shared on social networks such as LinkedIn
How Do Students Earn a Badge?
Students will be eligible to earn a digital badge when they complete actions and demonstrate their capabilities in each NACE Career Readiness Competencies through:
This may include résumé and cover letter reviews, mock interviews, self-assessment, LinkedIn profile reviews, the Internship Preparation Seminar and partner programs such as Kaplan Career Core.
What are the NACE Career Readiness Competencies?
Career Success does not happen overnight. Career readiness is an outgrowth of many developmental steps that help a student achieve competency in these essential areas:
- Career and Self-Development
- Critical Thinking
- Equity and Inclusion