Planning for Professional Careers
Excellence starts now when you plan ahead.
When it comes to exploring your future career, we believe that earlier is better. Our Center for Career and Professional Development promotes teaching lifelong skills to identify, research and develop career opportunities.
We assist students and alumni in executing their own personal plan by providing workshops on various career-related topics, such as résumé and cover letter writing, interviewing skills, internship exploration and job search techniques.
Our team also works to establish partnerships with employers who wish to recruit Adelphi students and alumni. We facilitate various programs to bring students, alumni and employers together, including career fairs, networking events with alumni, employer presentations and our on-campus recruiting program.
Year 1 and 2: It’s never too early to begin career preparation.
- Explore your academic and career interests. Discuss emerging values, interests and skills with your family and peers—which may help you identify possible career paths.
- Join student clubs and organizations. Employers often scan résumés seeking students with leadership qualities gained through such participation.
- Make a visit to the Center for Career and Professional Development. We encourage you to make an appointment with a career counselor to discuss your interests, majors, skills and career opportunities.
- Investigate the Career Liftoff Interest Inventory – an assessment given by the Career Center that matches individual interests with potential occupations.
- Register with Handshake, the Center for Career and Professional Development online job and internship posting system.
- Think about internship possibilities and the policies and procedures that accompany them. Schedule an appointment to discuss options with our internship coordinator.
- Boost your interest in volunteering. Besides developing valuable skills, volunteer opportunities assist a student in broadening his or her professional network.
- Get to know faculty members and administrators and develop professional relationships.
- Talk to family, friends and professional colleagues to learn about their unique experiences and career paths.
- Participate in the mentoring program offered by the Office of Alumni Relations and the Center for Career and Professional Development. Through networking with professionals in the field and related disciplines, students receive guidance and support while gaining exposure to work environments, career paths and industry trends.
- Get inspired to build on your experiences and show enthusiasm for developing skills.
Year 3 and 4: Real life. Real jobs. Real success.
- Recommend attending our Career Center workshops including résumé and cover letter preparation, interviewing skills, internships, dressing for success, how to work a job fair, networking and the job search.
- The Career Center collaborates with the Office of Alumni Relations on many programs and events. Participate in alumni networking events— including COACH (Count on Alumni for Career Help). These programs are a great way for your student to connect with Adelphi alumni and build their professional network.
- Foster an interest in current events and employment trends: Stay abreast of news stories through credible sources either in print or online and discuss them with others.
- Connect with prospective employers through our on-campus recruitment program and various career fairs both on and off campus.
- Develop and expand your job search or graduate school plans.
Important note: Begin the search for internships early. Some companies and organizations begin interviewing on campus during the fall semester for upcoming summer internship opportunities!