Prepare for a rewarding career as a psychiatric mental healthcare provider with a degree from one of the nation’s top nursing schools.
Why Earn a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Degree?
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job growth rate for nurse practitioners will increase by 26 percent over the next decade. Increase your marketability and professional options with an MS in Psychiatric Mental Health, which trains nurse practitioners in the latest psychopharmacology, counseling and therapy interventions. You’ll gain the tools to assess and manage a diverse range of clients with psychiatric diagnoses—from individuals to families to communities—providing the treatment they need to live healthy, productive lives.
Why Join the Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner Program at Adelphi University in New York?
- Learn by doing in our state-of-the-art clinical simulation laboratory under the supervision of experienced nurse practitioners.
- Study while balancing family and other obligations with convenient, flexible course schedules that include part-time and online options (40 percent of our core courses are offered online).
- Graduate career-ready with the required competencies you need to apply for advanced practice licensing and national certification.
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
At Adelphi University in New York, we believe strongly in the power of hands-on learning and the value it plays in advancing our students’ careers. In the MS program, you’ll complete 500 hours of hands-on clinical experience in a variety of settings, including community health clinics, health maintenance organizations, specialty clinics and private medical practices.
You’ll also have plenty of opportunities to translate theory into practice in Adelphi’s Clinical Education and Simulation Lab (CESiL), which houses a wealth of supplies and equipment in order to effectively simulate a hospital setting. The center’s innovative educational features include:
- A 22-bed lab, with one fully functioning community health room set up as a one-bedroom studio apartment
- Advanced patient care manikins and simulators
- Seven clinical exam rooms and one pediatric exam room
- Two classrooms fully wired for testing and web conferencing
Inside the Clinical Education and Simulation Lab
Application Requirements & Deadlines for the MS in Psychiatric-Mental Health
The priority application deadline for Fall admission is June 1. Applications received after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and B or above in all science and nursing classes. They must also submit the following:
- Graduate application and $50 fee
- A 500-word, typed essay on your reasons for applying to the program
- Final transcript documenting a bachelor’s degree in nursing (BSN) from an accredited four-year institution
- Two letters of recommendation from nurses who hold a master’s degree or above, credentials included
- New York State registered nurse license