Expand your nursing career and gain the skills you need to plan and deliver psychiatric mental healthcare to clients of all ages.
Why Earn Your Advanced Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health Degree?
For nurse practitioners who are already licensed in another specialty, a post-master’s advanced certificate is an affordable and accessible way to expand your professional options—and meet a growing national demand for psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners. Students in an advanced certificate program receive in-depth training in psychiatric mental health nursing, developing the tools to successfully assess, treat and manage a diverse range of clients.
Why Earn an Advanced Certificate in Psychiatric Mental Health from Adelphi?
- Build on your completed master’s coursework with a well-rounded curriculum that prepares you to assume an advanced practice role.
- Learn by doing in our state-of-the-art clinical simulation laboratory under the supervision of experienced nurse practitioners.
- Study while balancing family and other obligations with convenient, flexible course schedules that include part-time and online options (40 percent of our core courses are offered online).
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
At Adelphi, we believe strongly in the power of hands-on learning and the value it plays in advancing our students’ careers. In the advanced certificate program, you’ll complete 500 hours of hands-on clinical experience in a variety of settings, including community health clinics, health maintenance organizations, specialty clinics and private medical practices.
You’ll also have plenty of opportunities to translate theory into practice in Adelphi’s Clinical Education and Simulation Lab (CESiL), which houses a wealth of supplies and equipment in order to effectively simulate a hospital setting. The center’s innovative educational features include:
- A 22-bed lab, with one fully functioning community health room set up as a one-bedroom studio apartment
- Advanced patient care manikins and simulators
- Seven clinical exam rooms and one pediatric exam room
- Two classrooms fully wired for testing and web conferencing
Application Requirements for the Advanced Certificate in Psychiatric-Mental Health
The priority application deadline for spring admission is October 15. The priority application deadline for summer admission is April 15. Applications received after the priority deadline will be reviewed on a space-available basis.
Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and a B or above in all science and nursing classes.
To apply, submit the following:
- Graduate application and $50 fee
- A 500-word, typed essay on your reasons for applying to the program
- Final transcript documenting a bachelor’s degree in nursing (BSN) from an accredited four-year institution
- Final transcript documenting a master’s degree in nursing and completion of nurse practitioner program from an accredited institution
- Two letters of recommendation from nurses who hold a master’s degree or above, credentials included
- New York state registered nurse license and New York state nurse practitioner license