Employment eligibility and the rules which govern employment options for international students are determined by federal laws and regulations set forth by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

An international student must not engage in employment without authorization from their designated school official or through the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services. Unauthorized employment is a violation of F-1 status and will result in the termination of a student’s SEVIS record, requiring the student to depart the country immediately.

On-campus employment takes place on the school premises while the student is currently enrolled and maintaining valid F-1 status.

Off-campus employment is work that takes place outside of the school campus through curricular practical training, optional practical training, severe economic hardship, special student relief, or internship with an international organization. Off-campus employment is only available to F-1 students who have completed at least one full academic year of their program of study, and who have prior work authorization.

Employment Resources

International students who maintain valid F-1 status are eligible for on-campus employment, and in specific cases, may be eligible for off-campus employment.

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is performed on the school premises.

Cap-Gap Extension

A Cap-Gap Extension is a provision that lets certain F-1 students stay in the US between the end of their F-1 status and the start of their H-1B status.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

CPT includes alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

OPT is a type of work permission allowing students to get real-world work experience related to their field of study.

STEM Optional Practical Training (OPT)

STEM OPT is a 24-month extension of post-completion OPT to eligible students with a qualifying DHS STEM-designated degree.

International Organization Sponsored Employment

Benefit for students who secure an internship with a recognized international organization.

Taxes, Filing and Forms

Find out what you need to know about preparing and filing your United States tax returns. We understand this can be a confusing process and created this helpful guide to assist you.

Relief Options

Employment authorization for students who can show that new, unexpected circumstances that are beyond their control or due to emergent circumstances.

Volunteer Experiences

Performing hours of service for civic, charitable, or humanitarian reasons, with a nonprofit organization without promise, expectation, or receipt of compensation for services rendered.

Practical Training Workshops

International Services offers monthly workshops for interested students detailing the requirements and application process for interested students and advisors. 
Phone Number
More Info
Post Hall, 203
  • Regular Semester Hours Mon - Fri: 8:30 am–4:30 pm
Search Menu