A type of employment authorization for qualifying F-1 students who have been offered an internship with a recognized international organization.
This type of employment will not affect a student’s OPT, does not have to be related to your major, and there is no waiting period to qualify.
- You have a written offer for an internship position offered by and within the scope of a recognized international organization.
- You are in valid F-1 status, and the employment will occur prior to your program completion date.
- You are in good academic standing.
- The employment may constitute up to 20 hours per week when school is in session or may be full-time during official university breaks.
How to Apply
A student must first obtain a recommendation from their designated school official, followed by applying to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) by filing the Form I-765 for an Employment Authorization Document.
- Request the recommendation from your DSO by submitting your written offer for an internship position offered by and within the scope of a recognized international organization, along with a letter from your academic advisor indicating you are in good academic standing to International Services at email@example.com.
- Once you receive your DSO endorsed I-20, you will need to file Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization online with USCIS and pay all appropriate fees within 30 days of the day the DSO endorses the Form I-20.
Once you receive your DSO endorsed I-20, prepare your application for filing. Review the Checklist of Required Evidence and gather digital versions of all requirements to upload with your application.
- Form I-20 with employment recommendation issued from DSO within 30 days
- Evidence of previously authorized CPT (CPT authorized I-20) or OPT (EAD card)
- Valid Passport with F-1 Visa
- A printout of your I-94 Arrival Document
- Recent color passport-style photograph: Taken within 30-days on a white or off-white background measuring 2 x 2 inches, with your face measuring 1 inch to 1 3/8 inches from the chin to the top of your head. Your eyes should be between 1 1/8 inches and 1 3/8 inches from the bottom of the photo.
- A copy of your job offer letter
Complete the following steps to file your application for Pre-Completion OPT with USCIS:
- Create a USCIS Online Account or Sign In to your already existing account
- Select File a Form Online, choosing the I-765, Application for Employment Authorization and using the Code: (c) (3) (ii)
- Complete the I-765 Form, reading all form instructions for information on completing fields. USCIS will reject or deny your form if you leave a field blank or if you do not sign your form.
- Upload required evidence as indicated in clear and readable, not encrypted or passport-protected, in English, and in one of the following accepted file formats: JPG, JPEG, PDF, TIF, or TIFF.
- Review the summary of the information you provided in your application and digitally sign your application; type your full legal name (first, middle, and last names) in the space provided.
- Pay the filing fee using a valid credit or debit card, or provide your bank routing and checking account numbers to have money taken directly from your U.S. bank account.
- After you make your payment, your form will be submitted and you will receive a receipt notice that contains your receipt number. This is a unique number that applies to your specific case with USCIS. You can find your receipt number on your online account home page, and you can find a copy of your receipt notice under the Documents tab.
To check the status of your case, log in to your USCIS online account for details on the status of your case.
USCIS will notify you if you need to respond to a Request for Evidence (RFE). Log in to your USCIS online account and go to the Documents tab to view notices and respond to the RFE.