On-Campus Employment

International students maintaining valid F-1 status are permitted to work on the Adelphi University campus while maintaining a valid I-20 and enrolled in a full course of study.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular practical training is alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.

Optional Practical Training

Optional practical training is one type of work permission available for eligible F-1 students. It allows students to get real-world work experience related to their field of study.

Economic Hardship Employment

USCIS makes case-by-case decisions for off-campus employment for students who can show that new, unexpected circumstances beyond their control have created severe economic hardship.

Employment Sponsored by International Organizations

F-1 students are eligible to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) from the USCIS in order to work in an internship with a recognized international organization.

Special Student Relief Through Emergent Circumstances

Special student relief may be provided to F-1 students experiencing unforeseen, severe economic hardship caused by emergent circumstances.

Social Security Administration

Obtain information regarding the administration and the issuance of the social security number and card and other SSA information. Find out more about the international student process to file for a social security number (SSN).

Volunteer Experiences

F-1 students are able to volunteer with an organization that ordinarily engages and utilizes volunteers as long as the student is not volunteering primarily for work experience but because he/she wants to contribute to the mission of that organization.

Phone Number
Post Hall, 203

Search Menu