2013 Prize for Leadership Application information below.
2012 Recipients of the Adelphi Prize for Leadership
From left to right, back row: Chaminade High School Student Thomas Bruno, Kellenberg Memorial High School Student Enrique Austria, Garden City Village Administrator Robert L. Schoelle, Garden City Superintendent Robert Feirsen, Garden City High School Student Jonathan Krammer, Sacred Heart Academy Student Christina Uria, and Adelphi University President Scott
From left to right, front row: Garden City High School Student Nikhil Patel, Garden City High School Student Joseph Ienna, Garden City High School Student Brendan Quinn, Mayor Donald Brudie, Garden City High School Student Elizabeth Kane, Our Lady of Mercy Academy Student Caileigh McGoldrick, Garden City High School Student Liza Pititto, and Garden City High School Student Jennifer Itty
Not pictured: Shannon Carmen, Garden City High School
What is the Adelphi University Prize for Leadership?
Each year, the Adelphi University Prize for Leadership is awarded to high school juniors in recognition of their exemplary academic achievement and community service. Awardees will receive:
- an award of $1,000 and an inscribed award;
- two tuition–free courses at Adelphi University, over the course of the 2013 summer/fall and the spring 2014 sessions;
- Adelphi University library privileges;
- Invitations to attend a dinner in honor of a leading scholar, artist, or political figure who is visiting the University during the 2013-2014 academic year
Friday April 19, 2013.
Applicants must be high school juniors and residents of Garden City.
- Show a record of superior academic performance, in relation to their academic potential
- Demonstrate exceptional leadership skills in voluntary pursuits and/or community service activities
- Be available to attend the Adelphi University Prize for Leadership Reception.
Applicants must submit the following documentation to their school counselor by the due date:
- Completed Prize for Leadership application form (PDF 29KB)
- Minimum of one letter of recommendation from a high school administrator, school counselor or high school teacher
- Minimum of one letter of recommendation from a supervisor with firsthand knowledge of the applicant's community service work. Each letter must include a description of the activity and the number of hours per week or per activity contributed by the student.
- Official high school transcript
- Activity sheet.
In addition to submitting the mandatory documents, applicants may be asked for an interview by members of the Adelphi University Prize for Leadership Committee.