Business Internships, Mentorships and Job Shadowing
Build a powerful résumé through real-world experience at top financial institutions, major league sports teams, online retail sites and global marketing and accounting firms.
The career guidance team at Adelphi has built strong relationships with leading companies, nonprofits and organizations in New York City and Long Island that routinely hire our students for internships. The key to our success—and yours—is a personalized program that guides you to work experience tailored to your career goals.
The internship office provides resources and opportunities helping more than 1,600 students secure internships.
From researching positions to creating résumés and submitting applications, all the way through day-to-day mentoring, you’ll find support and advice at every step from world-class professors and business experts.
Six Ways Internships Help You Succeed
- Explore career options and professional interests firsthand
- Test the knowledge and skills learned in the classroom in real-world situations
- Add professional experience to your résumé
- Build a network of professionals and potential mentors
- Develop marketable skills and self-confidence
- Earn: Nearly all of the internships obtained by recent Willumstad students were paid
Here’s Where to Start
The first step to finding your internship is to email your résumé to Neil Halloran at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our career services specialists will review it and arrange an appointment to discuss internship opportunities.
We’ll also help you polish your résumé and cover letter and make sure you’re supported during the full duration of your internship.
We have close ties to the corporate community, and that helps you make new contacts and discover what it is like to take an active role in an organization—enhancing your opportunities for success.
- Canon USA
- Credit Suisse
- Ernst & Young
- Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Flynn Zito Capital Management
- Grant Thornton
- Grassi & Co.
- Incorporated Village of Garden City
- ING Bank
- Lufthansa Airlines
- Marks Paneth
- Merrill Lynch
- Michael Kors
- New York Islanders
- Northwell Health
- State Farm Insurance
- TD Bank
- Under Armour
Have you ever wondered what the day to day life is for an employee at various companies? Through our job shadowing program, you’ll be able to connect with leading organizations to learn about the daily operations and procedures, getting a personalized experience that could land you an internship.
Last semester, over a dozen undergraduate business students shadowed companies such as Geico, State Farm, Whitestone Associates, ING Bank, Village of Garden City, Flynn Zito and Veeco.
What Does Job Shadowing Include?
- Connect with a company and/or industry of interest to see a “day in the life”
- Tour the facility
- Attend meetings and conference calls
- Meet colleagues and team members to see various job functions
- Network and see potential internship opportunities
How Does the Process Work?
Our partner company outlines criteria for a job shadow opportunity. This can include how many students, desired major and graduation date or schedule availability. We then reach out to Willumstad School of Business students who meet these criteria and interview for participation in the program.
We always meet one-on-one with our candidates both before and after their experience.