How can nursing fix America’s ailing healthcare system? That’s what the National Academy of Medicine’s (NAM) Future of Nursing 2020–2030 consensus study is looking into.
Become a nursing leader, providing comprehensive adult care with a doctorate from our top-ranked College of Nursing and Public Health.
Why Earn a DNP in Adult Gerontology Primary Care?
The DNP (doctorate in nursing practice) program prepares nurses to be all-encompassing care practitioners with the skills to provide continuous care to patients, including young adults, adults and older adults, across settings and during transitions. The DNP graduate program is prepared to improve health and care outcomes through the translation of new science, its application and evaluation. In addition, DNP graduates will generate evidence through their practice to make a positive difference in practice and outcomes of care.
Why Choose the DNP Program in Adult Gerontology Primary Care at Adelphi?
- Receive personalized attention in our small classroom setting while learning on the most advanced technology in our state-of-the-art simulation center.
- Benefit from the program’s flexibility, with part-time and online options that cater to working professionals, as well as reduced required credits and clinical residency hours for students who have related MS degrees.
- Gain hands-on experience in a variety of clinical settings, including community health clinics, health maintenance organizations, specialty clinics, correctional facilities and private medical practices as part of the programs extensive required clinical practicum.
We offer our nursing students uniquely tailored clinical experiences by simulating the hospital setting in our 100,000-square-foot Nexus Building, with simulation labs, a smart-home healthcare system and telepresence robots.
Our state-of-the-art simulation lab provides our students with the highest-quality simulation technology in a safe learning environment so they receive the education, practice and exposure they need when applying for their first job.
Students have access to two simulation manikins:
- Victoria, our birthing manikin, simulates a live birth and is one of only two such manikins in the tristate area.
- Hal, our new state-of-the-art pediatric manikin, is the most advanced pediatric patient simulator in the United States—capable of simulating lifelike emotions through dynamic facial expressions, movement and speech.
Clinical Education and Simulation Lab (CESiL)Located in the Nexus Building, the 22-bed CESiL houses seven clinical exam rooms, a pediatric exam room, a delivery room and a home-care setting. Students learn in a safe environment, where mistakes can be made without endangering patients, and train in situations ranging from routine to emergency.
Clinical Education and Simulation Lab (CESiL)Located in the Nexus Building, the 22-bed CESiL houses seven clinical exam rooms, a pediatric exam room, a delivery room and a home-care setting. Students learn in a safe environment, where mistakes can be made without endangering patients, and train in situations ranging from routine to emergency. 7 Photos
Admission Requirements for Post-Baccalaureate DNP program (policy):
- Baccalaureate degree in Nursing from an accredited program by either CCNE or CNEA
- GPA 3.0 and B grade or higher in all nursing and science courses.
- 3 letters of reference from doctorally prepared nursing faculty or colleague. At least two of these references should be from a supervisor or faculty member
- Interview with faculty teaching in program
- Curriculum Vitae
- Minimum of 1-year working experience post-baccalaureate.
- 500-word written essay addressing the applicant’s vision of his/her future role with a DNP degree.
Advanced standing admission, additional eligibility requirements:
- Master’s degree
- Focus as an Adult Gerontology Primary Care NP
- National certification as an Adult-Gerontology Primary Care NP may be admitted with advanced standing
- National certification as an Adult-Gerontology Primary Care NP
- One year of clinical experience as a nurse practitioner.