International students and exchange visitors may be eligible to apply for and receive a driver’s license or non driver’s identification card from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in their state of residence.

Individuals who live in New York State should refer to the NY State DMV for specific details.

Young woman driving in a car with license

Important Information

  • Wait at least two weeks after your SEVIS record has been registered by your DSO or RO – new students only. If you apply before this action has been taken, you will be rejected by the DMV.
  • You must apply at the nearest DMV in the state where you live.
  • Students without a Social Security Card are eligible to apply for a driver’s license or non-driver ID. You must obtain a letter from the Social Security Administration Office indicating you are not eligible for a Social Security Number (SSN).

New York State residents age 16 or over can apply for a New York driver’s license. Before you can get a license, you must apply for a learner permit at your local DMV office and take the written test.

  1. Learn What You Need to Apply
  2. Locate Your Local DMV
  3. Gather Documents for a Standard License or Permit
  4. Learn the Rules
  5. Get a Learner Permit
  6. Find a Pre-licensing Course and Prepare for Your Road Test
  7. Schedule and Pass A Road Test

A person with lawful status in the U.S. of any age can get a non-driver ID card. Please see the steps below for information.

  1. Learn What You Need to Apply
  2. Locate Your Local DMV
  3. Gather Documents for a Non-Driver ID
  4. Make Your Reservation

Department of Motor Vehicle Resources

You must apply for your driver’s license or non-driver identification card in the state where you live. Every state has different requirements for how to get a driver’s license. Plan ahead and be prepared.
Phone Number
More Info
Post Hall, 203
  • Regular Semester Hours Mon - Fri: 8:30 am–4:30 pm
Connect With Us
Search Menu