Auditions for Music Majors
Start off on the right note by applying and auditioning to our music program.
Your music career starts here with your application for admission to Adelphi. The Office of University Admissions encourages you to learn about financial aid and scholarships and to complete and submit an application. The music program has additional admissions requirements.
Your admission to our highly selective music program is by audition, which is by pre-scheduled appointment only.
We are excited to return to offering on-campus auditions for all instruments and voices for Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 applicants. While you are encouraged to audition on campus before faculty in our beautiful Performing Arts Center, we also accept video auditions, and Zoom auditions on pre-scheduled days. Individually scheduled in-person on-campus auditions and Zoom auditions are also available.
Audition Dates for Spring 2023 and Fall 2023 Applicants
- November 19, 2022 (On campus. All applicants, Early Action Applicants and Spring 2023 applicants)
- December 10, 2022 (On campus. All applicants and Spring 2023 applicants)
- December 17, 2022 (Synchronous Zoom Audition. All applicants and Spring 2023 applicants)
- January 14, 2023 (On campus. Vocalists only)
- January 21, 2023 (On campus. Instrumentalists only)
- February 11, 2023 (On campus. All applicants)
- March 11, 2023 (Synchronous Zoom auditions only)
- Special Appointment Time (On campus or Zoom)
If you are applying for Early Action admission, please register for the November 19, 2022 audition date. Spring 2023 applicants should register for the November 19, December 10 or December 17 audition date.
Your audition will determine whether you will be recommended for one of our talent scholarships. Talent scholarships, when combined with academic scholarships for which you may qualify, make Adelphi University a smart choice!
Auditions are not required for a minor in music.
Audition Options For All Applicants
Meet faculty, staff and current students, and see the Adelphi campus and our home in the Performing Arts Center. A limited number of special appointment times will be available for those who are not available on pre-scheduled audition dates.
Audition from the comfort of your home as you meet Adelphi faculty, staff and current students, who will be available to chat before or after your audition. Follow up appointments and music department led campus tours available.
Pre-record your audition and submit through our Audition Request Form. Follow up appointments with Department of Music faculty are encouraged, and department led campus tours are available.
For video submissions:
• Record video of yourself performing your two audition selections with accompaniment, if required.
• Complete the Audition Request Form to upload your audition video files or links to video files.
- You must notify in writing (by email) your proposed audition repertoire choices a minimum of two weeks prior to your scheduled audition date.
- Candidates auditioning on more than one instrument, or as singer and instrumentalist, should offer one prepared work in each medium.
Applicants to the Composition Concentration will be asked to present and discuss a small portfolio of printed or manuscript scores of their works (preferably with a recording of at least one of those works). Composers may also offer to perform one of their own works, of which a score must be available.
A brief test is used to help faculty understand students’ skill levels in key areas of musicianship and to appropriately place students within the sequence of theory and musicianship courses. The test covers pitch and interval recognition, and the ability to discern rhythm, harmony and melody from a recorded or performed musical excerpt.
A brief interview gives faculty the chance to learn more about your background, current work and career plans. You are highly encouraged to bring any supporting material that can help provide further insight into your past and recent music experience (e.g., a high school transcript with a record of music classes taken to date, copies of recent concert programs, etc.).
After completing and submitting the audition request form above, please submit your video audition files using Slideroom.