Promote youth development through sport and physical activity.
Adelphi University’s mission in sport-based youth development is to lead the field in education, training and research, thereby enhancing the practice of sport-based youth development locally, nationally and globally.
Why Earn a Specialization in Sport-Based Youth Development?
This specialization prepares students for leadership positions in non-profit organizations, interscholastic/intercollegiate sports settings, school systems, sport and summer camps, recreational and athletic leagues, professional sports settings and the corporate social responsibility sector of for-profit organizations.
Why Earn a Specialization in Sport-Based Youth Development at Adelphi?
Graduate students take both core courses in their chosen master’s degree and Sport-Based Youth Development Specialization courses to become leaders in the field. This begins with understanding and using the theoretical and conceptual foundations to guide the design, implementation, administration, and evaluation of Sport-Based Youth Development programs and organizations, including the creation of both local and global programs as semester-long assignments.
Students also learn about the concepts of funding and grant writing, with an opportunity to develop and submit a grant proposal for an external organization. This type of experiential learning is the foundation of Adelphi’s academic programming, with students gaining experience through site visits, program implementation, grant writing, and program evaluation. Students also engage in an internship where they gain valuable practical experience in the field, reflect on their experiences through writing and seminars, get feedback from on-site supervisors and faculty supervisors, and build meaningful connections with practitioners and organizations.
Benefits of Enrollment:
- Apply for the tuition-free Sport-Based Youth Development Fellowship to gain experience in the field while completing graduate work
- Seek out Graduate Assistantships that enhance the graduate experience
- Thrive in a student-centered environment
- Interact and build relationships with classmates who challenge, inspire, and motivate each other within and outside of the classroom
- Work closely with engaged and dynamic faculty in the classroom, in the field and through research
- Network with local, regional, national and international leaders in the field through coursework, fieldwork and events
- Take courses at the Garden City campus and/or the Manhattan Center that fit your schedule
- Flexibility: Choose between on-ground, blended, and online courses that match your learning style and enjoy convenient evening courses
Specialize Your Degree
Graduates of the program will earn an MS degree in Sport Management or an MA degree in Physical Activity Studies, with a Sport-Based Youth Development Specialization.
The MS in Sport Management requires 36 credits.
Physical Activity Studies
MA in Physical Activity Studies requires 33-36 credits.
Funding for Graduate Students
Students selected for this Sport-Based Youth Development Fellowship will work part-time for a local Sport-Based Youth Development organization, where they will gain valuable experience in the field while the organization pays for their tuition over 2 years. This is an option for students interested in the MS in Sport Management or the MA in Physical Activity Studies, along with the Sport-Based Youth Development Specialization. This is only an option for students at the Manhattan Center, with all classes offered at this location.
For the Graduate Assistantship in Sport-Based Youth Development, students work directly with faculty on program and department initiatives as well as research, teaching, and community engagement.
Additional scholarships and grants are available.
To apply for this program specialization, submit the appropriate application requirements:
- Official transcripts from all universities attended
- Final transcript stating bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution
- A personal statement of purpose that includes a description of career goals over the next 5 years, reasons for interest in this graduate program at Adelphi University, and relevant experiences and achievements
- Two letters of recommendation