Prepare for a rewarding teaching career inspiring young people to understand wellness and make healthy choices.
Why Earn a Master’s in Health Education?
A master’s in health education will prepare you to teach pre-K to 12 health education in schools. You’ll learn how to promote and maintain healthy lifestyles through skills-based learning strategies, relevant and developmentally appropriate assessment design and understanding individual learning styles.
Why Earn Your Master’s in Health Education at Adelphi?
- Receive personalized attention in small class sizes that enable our students to work closely with their professors.
- Build community connections in our strong network of area school districts and educators in the area and gain valuable teaching experience through school placements.
- Advance your career on a timeline that works for you, with the option of evening classes and part-time enrollment.
94%** Adelphi University Career Outcomes Survey: Class of 2018
Degree Options and Certification
We offer four degree options to meet the needs of incoming students:
MA in Health Education (Professional)
Designed for students who already hold a valid NYS initial/provisional teacher certification in health education and obtain professional certification after completion.
MA in Health Education (In-Service)
Designed for students who already have initial teacher certification in an area other than health education.
MA in Health Education: Graduate Alternative Teacher Education (GATE)
Designed for students without prior teacher certification.
Advanced Certificate in School Health Education
Offers students with a master’s degree in another area an alternative route to NYS Certification in Health Education.
Successful graduates of this program are eligible for NYS Teacher Certification in Health Education. NYS Department of Education requires all graduates to sit for the Content Specialty Test in Health Education. Some coursework may count toward additional areas of teacher certification.
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
At Adelphi, we believe classroom teaching experience is critical for our student’s development. You will have the opportunity to work directly with other educators and young people during your fieldwork internship course. Our students have worked in many school districts, including:
Applicants should have an undergraduate background in health or health-related areas. Applicants with degrees in other areas may be required to complete additional coursework, such as human biology (anatomy and physiology), health-related courses and education courses.
Applicants should submit the following:
- Graduate application and $50 fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal essay
- All previous college/university transcripts with a record of bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution
- GRE exam results (required for the Health Education GATE and In-service programs)
- Résumé (preferred)
Applicants interested in the advanced certificate program should submit the following:
- Final transcript documenting a master’s degree from an accredited four-year institution