Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Council for the College of Nursing and Public Health
DEI Council Mission Statement: We aspire to create a respectful culture that embraces virtues of diversity, equity, inclusivity, civility, and anti-racism in all dealings with students, faculty, staff, administration, and external stakeholders.
Council Meetings for the 2022-2023 year:
Wednesdays from 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. on the following dates:
- Wednesday, September 14, 2022 – 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, October 12, 2022 – 10:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 16, 2022 – 10:00 a.m.
There will also be impromptu meetings, to meet our objectives.
We are always actively seeking new members as we continue to grow the CNPH Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council. We also recognize that there are others who want to be an “ally” to the Council and this work, so we also encourage them to come forward and be recognized.
To become a member of the CNPH Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council, please contact the chairperson directly.
- “Racism in Nursing: The African-American Nursing Experience” Virtual Film Screening and Post screening panel with filmmaker, Denetra Hampton held on Thursday, December 2, 2021 – 4:30pm. The post screening discussion panel was facilitated by CNPH DEI Events Task Force chair, Dr. Kattiria Gonzalez.
- CNPH Diversity Statement on our webpage: October 2021
- Diversity Statement in all Syllabi: August 2021
- 3M Littman Stethoscope Leadership Development Grant – AUSNA Faculty Advisors – Dr. Jacqueline Johnston and Dr. Diane Santangelo (along with the 2019/2020 AUSNA E-Board and Membership) won this award based on their LGBTQ+ community outreach initiatives.
- AUSNA/CNPH Participation in National Coming Out Day on October 9, 2020.
- Social/Digital Media Awareness Campaigns including:
- Women’s History Month (numerous notable female alumni profiles were completed and posted on social media channels)
- Black History Month (numerous profiles of both African American students and faculty were posted on social media channels)
- Asian Pacific Heritage Month (just signed up to be part of May 2021 campaign)
- Hispanic Heritage Month
- Men in Nursing
- Dr. Ednah Madu hosted a presentation as a part of Black History
- Month/American Heart Month that addressed disparate cardiovascular conditions experienced by the African American community.
- CNPH Peer Mentoring Program, a collaboration between the Office of Academic Services and Retention and the College of Nursing and Public Health.
- Planned Cultural Events
February 9th and February 11th @ 1:00 pm CNPH Implicit Bias and Micro-aggressions Workshop Sessions February 17th @ 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm Moderated by CNPH DEI Council Chairperson, Charles Cal
- Dr. Kattiria Gonzalez, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Ani Jacob, Clinical Assistant Professor
- Dr. Edwin-Nikko R. Kabigting, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Ednah Madu, Assistant Professor
- Dr. Korede Yusuf, Assistant Professor
April 21st @ 6:00 pm Title: The Way Forward: Empowering Nursing Students to Address Incivility
Moderated by CNPH DEI Council Events Task Force Co-Chairs, Assistant Professor, Dr. Korede Yusuf and Assistant Professor, Dr. Kattiria Gonzalez
- Dr. Marilyn Klainberg, Professor
- Dr. Wei Liu, Associate Professor
- Dr. Ditsapelo McFarland, Associate Professor
- Jennifer Laguan, Nursing Student
- Student and Faculty Climate Survey to more comprehensively understand the perceptions, challenges, and potential opportunities for change within the College.
- CNPH Library of Resources includes material that is specific to the needs of the programs through feedback from Faculty, Students, Staff, etc.
- Curriculum review with a lens towards opportunities for incorporation of DEI material that uses a model, such as, Evidence-Informed, Context-Relevant, and Unified Curriculum Development.
- “Racism in Nursing: The African-American Nursing Experience” – Virtual Film Screening and panel discussion with filmmaker, Denetra Hampton – Thursday, December 2nd 4:30pm
- CNPH DEI Council’s Library Resources Booklet: June 2021
- CNPH DEI Council Chair began representing AU at AACN Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Group: March 2021
- DEI Council Chair presented to CNPH Advisory Board: February 2021
- DEI – Virtual Panel – The Importance of Cultural Humility in Healthcare Education: Feb 2021
- Getting to Know Your CNPH DEI Council Members and Ally Initiative: Feb – March 2021
- DEI – Virtual Panel – The Way Forward: Empowering Nursing Students to Address Incivility: April 2021
- DEI Council presentation to CNPH Faculty Learning Community: October 2020
Getting to know your CNPH Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Council Members and Allies
Beginning in March we will start to focus on a specific theme related to the work of DEI and Antiracism that will come out of the Council. As part of this effort, we will be introducing our Council Members to the CNPH community beginning with a DEI Council Student Representative, a DEI Council Faculty, a DEI Council Staff, and an Ally will be recognized.
- Monthly Themes: Ally/Allyship
- DEI Council Student Representative: Jennifer Laguan
- DEI Council Faculty: Ditsapelo McFarland
- Ally: Patricia Donohue-Porter
- Monthly Themes/Concept/Word: Structural Violence, Structural Racism and Health Inequity
- DEI Council Student Representative: Maryam Gul
- DEI Council Faculty: Korede Yusuf
- DEI Council Staff/Staff: Caitlin McElroy
- Ally: Maria-Pilar Martin