February 27, 2014 - Be aware of the wide range of schemes taxpayers can encounter.
Be aware of the wide range of schemes taxpayers can encounter. These can appear at any point during the year, but many peak during filing season as people prepare their tax returns.
Go to irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/ for more information on the following tax-related scams and how to protect yourself:
- Identity Theft
- Pervasive Telephone Scams
- False Promises of “Free Money” from Inflated Refunds
- Return Preparer Fraud
- Hiding Income Offshore
- Impersonation of Charitable Organizations
- False Income, Expenses or Exemptions
- Frivolous Arguments
- Falsely Claiming Zero Wages or Using False Form 1099
- Abusive Tax Structures
- Misuse of Trusts