Find answers to your study abroad questions.

Study abroad is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to enrich your academic experience, gain global perspectives, and venture outside your comfort zone.  To help you start thinking about study abroad, here are answers to the most frequently asked questions.  Visit the Center for International Education in Nexus 145 for more answers.

Studying abroad is an experience of a life time! It will enable you to gain experience and insights into another culture and see the world from a different perspective. Not to mention, you may have the opportunity to learn another language. Living and studying abroad is a unique opportunity and now is the best time in your life to go abroad. You will undergo tremendous personal and intellectual growth impossible to achieve by staying in your home campus. Additionally, employers highly value effective cross-cultural communications skills and critical thinking in prospective employees. An international experience is sure to enhance your résumé. Spending time abroad does require a considerable commitment—academically, emotionally, and financially. But the return on the investment is well worth it!

Any full time Adelphi undergraduate or graduate student, including University College and online students, currently in good academic standing and a clear disciplinary record, who have studied for at least two (2) semesters at Adelphi. Students must have successfully completed the previous semester at Adelphi as a full time student. Adelphi requires a 2.5 minimum GPA for undergraduate students and a 3.0 minimum GPA for graduate students at the time of application. Students from all disciplines are encouraged to apply. International students are also eligible to study abroad. Sponsored international students must provide a written clearance from their sponsor before being accepted; visa and immigration issues must be also considered.

You can choose to study in one or more countries around the world through Adelphi’s own exchanges and short term programs as well as through many providers with which we work—please explore your study abroad options using the links in the left menu.

However, Adelphi University does not approve studying in countries or regions of the world for which Travel Warnings have been issued by the U.S. Department of State. Students are highly encouraged to investigate options carefully to determine which programs will best suit their career goals and personal interests. By defining your goals, you will have a better chance of finding the most appropriate program.

You can study abroad for a maximum of one full academic year or two semesters, consecutively or not, plus one summer term. You can also choose to study a semester in one country and the next semester in another country.

No, many of our approved programs will accept you in all their locations around the world without a language prerequisite. However, we urge you to take advantage of the unique opportunity to learn a new language or build upon your current foreign language skills by fully immersing yourself in a new culture abroad. Most approved programs offer courses taught in English across disciplines. There is always the option of studying abroad in an English speaking country such as Australia, Canada, England, Ghana, Ireland, New Zealand, and Scotland, among other countries.

You will continue to be registered at Adelphi and pay regular Adelphi tuition and fees (regardless of the actual program cost), unless the program’s tuition is higher than Adelphi’s. Adelphi will pay for the cost of your program tuition to the maximum of on campus tuition. If you are accepted to a program whose tuition is higher than Adelphi’s the balance will be debited to your student account. You will be responsible for the cost of your own room and board, meals, local transportation, entertainment, passport expenses, visas (if required), optional cultural travel, personal expenses and airfare to/from the host destination. Room and board and other expenses vary considerably from location to location even in the same country; costs can be higher but also much lower than costs in Garden City.

Please do your research and compare costs, substantial savings can be made. Our office will assist you in preparing your Budget Planning Worksheet to be submitted to financial aid.

Yes, if you are a  student on a semester abroad you will continue to be registered and pay Adelphi tuition whilst abroad, thus keeping your eligibility for 100% of your federal financial aid and 50% to 100% of your Adelphi institutional aid (dependent on the program you choose). The CIE will forward the estimated cost of your program to the Office of Student Financial Services. They will send you your Award Letter on the usual schedule. If necessary, you or your parents can seek alternative loans to help offset the costs of studying abroad. Adelphi will grant a limited number of study abroad scholarships.  Find more information on financing and scholarships here. [financing and scholarships link]

Yes, you can. You can participate in one of Adelphi’s many exchange programs.  However, you cannot turn your tuition waiver benefit into cash to pay a third party provider’s tuition. Instead of paying the current Adelphi tuition, you will be charged only the actual cost of foreign tuition.

All international student enrolled in a degree program at Adelphi University are eligible to study abroad.

The summer months provide an ideal time for students to go abroad, who otherwise may not be able to go during the year. Costs depend on the program – Adelphi offers a variety of faculy-led programs as well as partners with a number of approved providers, to learn more about summer opportunities, stop by the Center for International Education for more information.

You must enroll in at least 12 Adelphi equivalent credit hours per semester, as approved by your faculty adviser, to maintain full time student status. Full time is defined by the host university or program provider. The maximum number of credit hours students can enroll while abroad is 16 Adelphi equivalent credit hours. The number of actual courses taken will vary according to the program. In consultation with your faculty adviser, you can take a combination of courses towards major, minor, or elective credit. Graduate students require an enrollment minimum of 9 credit hours per semester or equivalent, or an approved mix of coursework and research to be determined and approved by your graduate supervisor.

Adelphi will grant credit for all approved study abroad courses upon receipt of the foreign transcript. Study abroad courses must be taken for a grade, not on Pass/Fail basis; only courses completed with the grade of “C-” (or the equivalent) or better will earn academic credit. Grades obtained overseas will be posted on your transcript with the course title, the number of credits earned, and designation of the foreign school.  Study Abroad grades WILL NOT be computed in your Adelphi GPA, but will be considered for scholarship renewal.

On semester abroad terms The Center for International Education will keep you enrolled in special blanket courses designated “Study Abroad” in the Adelphi system for the duration of your time abroad. Thus, you will maintain your active student status and your eligibility for financial aid, scholarships, email accounts, etc. Upon successful completion of coursework abroad, the host university or program will issue a transcript to our office; the credits earned will then be entered in your Adelphi record.

In most cases, it should not. Study abroad courses will be pre-approved to transfer back to your Adelphi record, so you would not miss any time in your course sequence, and should be able to graduate with your class. It is suggested that you meet with your faculty adviser early on to discuss your plans to go abroad, so necessary accommodations can be made.

This will require some research and self reflection. It also helps to speak to students who have studied abroad in the past. Here are some questions to ask yourself:

  • Where do I want to go?
  • What do I want to study?
  • What type and length of program do I want?
  • Do I want to take courses with other Americans or enroll directly in a foreign university?
  • Am I independent and willing to take risks?
  • What are my career goals?
  • Do I want to live with a host family or in a university residence?
  • Will cost be an issue?
  • How many credits taken abroad will count towards my degree?
  • What types of courses are offered abroad?
  • Do I want to focus on learning a foreign language?
  • How much integration into the foreign culture do I want?
  • How will my decision to go abroad affect my family?

By defining your goals early on, you will have a better chance of finding a program that best fits your academic and personal needs. CIE staff can help you every step of the way.

You must complete the online Adelphi study abroad application for your specific program on time and meet general eligibility requirements.

In addition, you must complete the host university/provider application.  Each program has a different application process (e.g. online, paper application, etc.).  Please schedule a meeting with a study abroad adviser by emailing to find out more about the application process for your program.

There are generally two Adelphi application deadlines each year: April 15 for summer, fall and full-year programs, and October 15 for spring semester programs. Some program have early application deadlines or accept applications on a rolling basis; pay close attention to the deadlines for your program, as they do not necessarily coincide with Adelphi campus deadlines. Deadlines for Adelphi’s faculty-led programs vary; find more information here. [Faculty-led Study Abroad Courses]

Yes. There is a mandatory medical and accident insurance requirement for all Adelphi students participating in a study abroad program. Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI) administers the plan for Adelphi students. It has “zero” deductible and it has been tailor-made for study abroad. You must purchase this insurance upon acceptance. If you are buying regular campus health insurance, you could discontinue it during your semester abroad if you plan ahead of time.

You must have a current passport (which must be valid for at least 6 months past the date of your return) in order to travel outside of the U.S. It is strongly recommended that you begin the passport application process early; if it is your first time, apply as soon as you begin looking into programs. It can take up to 8 weeks for a new passport to be issued.  Application instructions and downloadable forms can be found at Visas and/or residence permits are required for some countries and it is the student’s responsibility to obtain them.

Important Note:  Some consulates require a personal interview when applying for a visa and students must make plans accordingly and prepare the necessary documentation. After acceptance, the Study Abroad provider will offer details on visa applications, and our office can assist where necessary.

Attend one of our Study Abroad Fairs held twice yearly in September and February in the University Center Lobby or stop by the Center for International Education, Nexus 145.

Search Menu