Earn an advanced degree from our award-winning school of psychology and play a key role in improving the lives of others.
Why Earn an MA in General Psychology?
With a master’s in general psychology, you can open the doors to a range of careers from healthcare and research to business and law, or use it as a jumping-off point for future doctoral study. You will be able to address the current and future needs of society, building on your critical reasoning skills and gaining a depth of understanding of human behavior that is critical for future success in psychology and clinical practice.
Why Earn Your MA in General Psychology at Adelphi?
- Balance your education and your work/family life with full- and part-time options, once-a-week classes and some online course offerings.
- Concentrate your education on key job market areas, including human resource management and substance abuse counseling.
Gain broad-based preparation, including a focus on diversity, for a range of careers in research, healthcare, business and law, or to prepare for doctoral study.
94%** Adelphi University Career Outcomes Survey: Class of 2018
Human Resource Management
This unique program, which draws on the expertise of faculty from psychology and business, is tailored to students interested in human resources fields such as hiring and recruitment, management/employee relations and performance appraisal. A solid grounding in both psychology and business enables our graduates to increase productivity and enhance organizational performance.
Substance Abuse Counseling Concentration
Completing the coursework in the substance abuse counseling concentration equips you to deliver clinical services to clients and their significant others seeking treatment for chemical dependency. Our theoretical models of addiction and evidence-based practices prepare you for work in a variety of settings.
Students who complete the program will have satisfied the state of New York’s 350 hours of educational requirements, will receive a certificate of completion and are eligible for the Credential in Alcohol and Substance Abuse Counseling Trainee certificate (CASAC-T).
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
Our graduate students benefit from our close ties with Adelphi’s Institute for Parenting, our Alice Brown Early Learning Center and the Bridges to Adelphi Program to gain critical hands-on experience. In the community, they help by providing mental health services in a variety of settings, including:
- Northwell Health
- The Center for Cognitive & Dialectical Behavior Therapy (CCDBT)
- PRIDE Health Research Consortium
- Kulanu Center for Special Services
- New York Psychotherapy and Counseling Center
Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA, and should submit the following:
- Graduate application and $50 fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal essay
- Official transcripts from all prior institutions and proof of bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution
Prerequisite courses include:
- General Psychology
- One additional elective (for example: Personality, Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology or Developmental Psychology)