Build a strong foundation for a variety of in-demand biology careers through small classes with personalized attention.
Why Earn an MS in Biology?
The MS in Biology can prepare you for entrance into professional schools in the health sciences (medicine, dentistry, optometry, podiatry and veterinary medicine) and for research doctoral programs. Secondary school biology teachers can use a graduate program to fulfill the requirements of certain tracks for professional certification and/or expand their knowledge base. Graduates can also acquire the tools and skills for successful careers in public health and environmental and patent law, or the dynamic and growing field of biotechnology and its related fields of pharmaceuticals, biomedical research, cancer research and laboratory medicine.
Why Study Biology at Adelphi?
- Customize your education to your interests and needs, with two track options that allow you to either perform laboratory or field-based research or to explore scientific research through the primary literature, both under the guidance of one of our distinguished faculty.
- Take advantage of financial support options including our rewarding graduate teaching assistantships.
- Apply when the time is right, thanks to an accessible rolling admissions process.
94%** Adelphi University Career Outcomes Survey: Class of 2018
Tracks and Concentrations
Whether you are considering a master’s in biology or with a specialization in biotechnology, each degree is split into two tracks: a thesis track for students who are interested in conducting scholarly research or a non-thesis track, which is appropriate for students who already have extensive lab experience.
Within each of the biology program tracks, students may wish to choose an additional concentration of related courses. Selecting a concentration is optional and the courses can be taken within the credits needed for the degree. Only one concentration may be chosen.
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
Research is a major part of biology education at Adelphi. Students have the opportunity to participate in Adelphi’s Annual Research and Creative Works Conference to showcase their work to faculty and the rest of our community. Biology students have applied their on-campus research knowledge to real-life work settings, with recent internships held at:
Our Research Labs
As a member of the biology department, you will have access to our laboratory facilities which include modern equipment for the study of molecular biology and cell and tissue culture. These can be used to facilitate your graduate research in cellular and molecular biology, genetics, toxicology, microbiology, immunology, physiology, evolution and ecology.
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree in biology or related field and should submit the following application requirements:
- Graduate application and $50 fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal essay
- Official transcripts from all prior institutions and proof of bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution