Prepare for a rewarding career with high earning potential, meeting the educational demands of diverse communities.
Why Earn an MA in Bilingual/TESOL?
You’ll be responsible for shaping the next generation of English speakers, increasing your earning potential as much as 44 percent for an administrator with advanced education. With a master’s in TESOL you open yourself to a number of rewarding careers; ESL/bilingual teacher, bilingual speech pathologist, bilingual social worker, international education adviser or school administrator. Whatever you choose, you will be making a profound difference in the lives of others.
Why Choose Adelphi’s Bilingual/TESOL Graduate Program?
- Balance your education with your personal obligations through a flexible format that includes evening and weekend classes and the option to complete the program fully online or through a combination online/on-campus experience.
- Benefit from small class sizes which translate to more one-on-one attention from faculty inside and outside the classroom, at a university that has won national awards for creating a culture devoted to diversity and inclusion.
- Gain practical experiences, as you immediately put what you’ve learned into practice through student teaching and fieldwork with our many school partners.
20%** Adelphi University Career Outcomes Survey: Class of 2018
Degree Options & Certifications
A master’s degree in TESOL provides opportunities to travel the world teaching English or teach English in a private or community college. Learn more about the different programs and tracks available to TESOL and bilingual education students:
MA in TESOL leading to P–12 Certification
Designed for students who do not currently hold certification in ESL education.
MA in TESOL (Non-Certification Track)
Designed for either international students or candidates preparing to teach adults or in programs where certification is not required.
MS in Bilingual Childhood Special Education (Triple Certification Program)
Designed for career changers or those wishing to become certified in all three areas to meet the shortage of certified teachers.
Bilingual Extension for Teachers of Students with Speech and Language Disabilities (TSSLD)
This program may be taken concurrently with the master’s program in speech-language pathology or as a post master’s advanced certificate.
Intensive Teacher Institute and Clinically Rich Intensive Teacher Institute Programs
In collaboration with the New York State Education Department (NYSED), we also offer an Intensive Teacher Institute Program for Bilingual /TESOL Special Education (ITI-BSE) at Eastern Suffolk BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services) with partial tuition assistance and Clinically Rich Intensive Teacher Institute Track programs.
Post Master’s Programs
Once you have received your master’s we have three post master’s programs. These programs lead to bilingual extensions for both certified teachers and pupil personnel service providers.
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
At Adelphi, we believe in the power of hands-on experience to prepare graduates for careers in the classroom. The TESOL and bilingual education programs are committed to preparing socially active, dedicated and professionally involved teachers through theory and practice. Unlike some other programs, our students begin real-time observations immediately and are required to do a minimum of 100 hours of fieldwork—so you’ll be classroom-ready right away.
You’ll also benefit from peer support as you are assigned a core group to share ideas, get support and gather input from classmates with common experiences. Additionally, you’ll take what you learn here and put it into practice, whether it’s right on campus at Adelphi’s Alice Brown Early Learning Center or with one of our community partners.
Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and should submit the following application requirements:
- Graduate application and $50 fee
- Official transcripts from all prior institutions and proof of bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal essay
If you are applying for the MA in TESOL leading to P–12 Certification or the MS in Bilingual Childhood Special Education you must include:
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) results
Applicants interested in the advanced certificate programs should submit the following:
- Final transcript documenting a master’s degree from an accredited four-year institution