Stephanie Acierno missed the opportunity to walk across the stage at graduation last year when she received her master's degree. Instead, she had a different kind of celebration.
Prepare to become a certified educator of high school students with a degree from our highly ranked Ruth S. Ammon School of Education within our College of Education and Health Sciences.
Why Earn an MA in Adolescent Education?
Develop your passion for teaching and learn how to become an effective high school teacher and leader in the fields of English language arts, social studies, mathematics or the sciences. You’ll develop your own philosophy of education and core values as an educator while learning the art and science of teaching to this important age group.
Why Earn Your MA in Adolescent Education at Adelphi University in New York?
- Be classroom-ready right away thanks to a wealth of hands-on experience, including a minimum of 100 hours of fieldwork in New York area schools and early observation of classrooms in real time.
- Take advantage of our flexible program format with the option to take courses online or through a combination online/on-campus experience and an accelerated program that leads to a degree and certification in 12 months.
- Tailor your studies to your personal interests and future career aspirations through specializations in English, math, science and social studies.
Specializations and Accelerated Degrees
We offer a 12-month, intensive accelerated program option geared to meet the needs of potential candidates who want to teach in a secondary school setting. Candidates begin the 37-credit program of study in June and complete all requirements by the following May leading to a Masters degree and recommendation for initial New York State certification (grades 7-12) in one of the following fields of study:
Successful graduates of this program are certified to teach grades 1–6. After completing the program, you may choose to pursue additional advanced certifications in:
- Post Master’s Advanced Certificate Bilingual Education Extension
- Literacy Education (Birth-Grade 6 & Grade 5-12 )
- Literacy Education (Grade 5-12 )
- Special Education (Advanced Certificate in Autism and Severe or Multiple Disabilities)
- Special Education (Advanced Certificate in Adolescent Students with Disabilities 7-12 Generalist with Extension): Now offered online and at our Brooklyn Center. The next cohort will start in the Fall. The cohort for the NYC Teaching Fellows will start Fall 2023.
- Middle School Extension
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
Our program is grounded in field-based methods courses that provide our students with critical hands-on teaching experience from beginning to end, as well as a minimum of 100 hours of fieldwork required prior to graduation. These courses offer you the opportunity to practice in local classrooms, and create valuable future career connections before entering the more formal student teaching practicum.
Applicants for this program must have a minimum 3.0 GPA and should submit the following application requirements:
- Graduate application and $60 fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal essay
- Official transcripts from all prior institutions and proof of bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution
Awards & Recognition