Gain the skills you need to make a life-changing difference in a child’s ability to read and write.
Why Earn an MS in Literacy Education?
Train to become both a teacher and a scholar in the literacy field, developing strong communication skills to aid you in educating and supporting students from diverse cultures, backgrounds and abilities. Learn to examine and analyze trends, contributing innovative solutions to the world of reading education.
Why Earn an MS in Literacy Education at Adelphi?
- Build deep working relationships with your professors and peers thanks to small classroom settings.
- Gain hands-on experience through on-site practicum opportunities at our Literacy Center.
- Benefit from the expertise of our faculty experts who have extensive experience in the field.
Literacy Degree & Certification Options
Our program will prepare you for a variety of careers working with individual students at all literacy levels, whether it be as a classroom teacher, an interventional literacy teacher, clinician or a school district supervisor or coordinator of literacy charged with improving teaching and learning. We offer an integrated, theoretically grounded view geared toward addressing the needs of students and teachers in diverse communities.
Our programs will also prepare you to take and pass the New York State Teacher’s Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) required for your particular area of certification, which includes the Content Specialty Test in Literacy.
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
At Adelphi, we believe hands-on experience is key to setting our students up for future career success. As a candidate in the literacy education program, you will gain first-hand experience providing literacy assessments and instruction for students entering grades 1–12 both on campus and in neighboring public schools through the Literacy Center.
Applicants must have a NYS teacher certification in addition to a minimum 3.0 GPA and should submit the following application requirements:
- Graduate application and $50 fee
- GRE scores
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal essay
- Official transcripts from all prior institutions and proof of bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution
Applicants interested in the Advanced Certificate programs should also submit the following:
- Final transcript documenting a master’s degree from an accredited four-year institution