Prepare for a deeply rewarding career or career advancement with our online advanced certificate programs in Autism and Severe or Multiple Disabilities (Advanced ASMD) and Autism Spectrum Disorders (Advanced ASD).
Why Earn an Autism Certificate?
These graduate programs:
- Lead to a valuable, in-demand credential
- Provide you with an exceptionally rich learning experience—knowledge that you can immediately apply to the workplace
- Emphasize the lifespan approach to development so you can gain expertise in matching best practices to individual need—at every stage of life
Why Earn an Autism Certificate at Adelphi University?
- You will gain insights from Stephen Shore, EdD, a nationally renowned academician and Adelphi University faculty member whose expertise is fully informed by his experience living on the autism spectrum.
- Dr. Shore and his colleague, Pavan J. Antony, EdD, developed the Advanced ASD and Advanced ASMD curriculum in consultation with practitioners and nationally recognized leaders in the field, including authors of some of the textbooks students read in class.
- You will benefit from our personalized instruction from distinguished faculty and an engaging online learning environment, as well as opportunities for hands-on training and assignments.
- Each of these fully online, 12-credit, instructor-led programs offered by Adelphi’s College of Education and Health Sciences can be completed in one year.
Choose the Program that Meets Your Objectives
By earning one of our graduate-level certificates, you put a spotlight on your expertise and demonstrate your commitment to professional development.
The online Advanced ASMD is geared to special educators, general educators, related service providers and school psychologists. Students must hold a master’s degree for admission, and many of them have these credentials:
- A certificate for teaching special education, the deaf and hearing-impaired, the blind and partially sighted, and the speech- and hearing-handicapped
- A certificate in early childhood special education, childhood special education, middle childhood special education, adolescence special education, deaf and hard of hearing, blind and visually impaired, and speech and language disabilities
Students in the Advanced ASMD can choose the Autism Specialization or Severe or Multiple Disabilities Specialization. Completion of either leads to the New York State Annotation in Severe and Multiple Disabilities and may apply to certificate extension requirements in other states.
The Advanced Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorders attracts a broad range of students worldwide who work or are interested in working with children and adults on the autism spectrum. They may hold positions as educators, health care providers, therapists or program managers in settings ranging from schools, clinics and hospitals, to group homes and rehabilitation centers. Students with an undergraduate degree in any subject can apply for admittance.
Our advanced certificate programs provide students not only with cutting-edge knowledge, but also personalized instruction and an engaging online learning environment. Classes also offer opportunities for hands-on training and assignments that support individual interests and objectives. Most courses include a required field work component, during which students observe the population in an inclusive or specialized setting; assist in an appropriate capacity; and gain multiple perspectives on their experience through group discussions with faculty and peers.
In addition to a completed application for graduate admission and in accordance with graduate admissions requirements set forth by the Ruth S. Ammon School of Education, candidates must submit: No GRE is required for admission to these certificate programs.
In addition to a completed application for graduate admission and in accordance with graduate admissions requirements set forth by the Ruth S. Ammon School of Education, candidates must submit:
Advanced Autism Spectrum Disorders/Advanced Autism and Severe or Multiple Disabilities:
- Official transcripts showing a minimum 3.0 cumulative undergraduate GPA on a four-point scale
- Final undergraduate transcripts stating proof of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution or international equivalent
- A 500-word essay detailing reasoning for the pursuit of this certificate
- Two letters of recommendation
- Current resume
- $50 application fee
- International Students whose native language is not English must submit a minimum TOEFL score of 80 or a minimum IELTS score of 6.5. International students in this program are not eligible for an F-1 visa.
Advanced Autism and Severe or Multiple Disabilities:
In addition to all of the requirements listed above, Advanced ASMD applicants must also provide official transcripts showing a minimum 3.0 cumulative graduate GPA and final graduate transcripts stating proof of a master’s degree.
GRE is not required for admission to these certificate programs.
Accepted students have two opportunities to start the advanced certificate programs in the Fall or Spring semesters. Candidates are encouraged to submit their completed applications two weeks before their desired start date.
Candidates will be notified of an admissions decision via letters both from the University Admissions Office and the Ruth S. Ammon School of Education within 48 hours of submitting a completed application.
All candidates must submit official transcripts for all schools where credits were earned toward the conferred degree.
Official eScripts can be sent to our office electronically (directly from the institution) to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via mail (in sealed envelopes) to:
Office of University Admissions
Levermore Hall, Room 114
1 South Avenue
P.O. Box 701
Garden City, New York 11530-0701