Meeting Goals. Transforming Lives.
The Adelphi University community continues to boldly address the six key goals of Momentum: our strategic plan.
Read the new 2018–2019 President’s Report—and see how.
It’s been over four years since we set our six-year strategic plan called Momentum in motion, and I’m proud to say our efforts are living up to that name—we’re making unswerving progress toward establishing Adelphi as a globally renowned modern metropolitan university. To uphold our legacy and history as one of Long Island’s oldest universities, we approach each day with a forward-thinking vision designed to propel the University into the future we foresee for higher education.
The best way to understand how we approach Momentum’s transformative goals is to see them in action. The accomplishments of the past year—pursued with great intention—are part of a world-class academic environment that allows our students, faculty and staff to pursue their goals and thrive. I’m thrilled to share highlights of these accomplishments from the 2018–2019 academic year in this report.
Create a World-Class Academic Experience
With Goal 1, we focus on Adelphi’s unique transformational and intellectually rigorous educational experience, one supported by faculty who provide exceptional teaching and scholarship to attract a diverse group of outstanding students. Our students will benefit from dual-degree programs, small classes, global engagement, and high-impact, experiential programs that leverage the University’s location near New York City.
- Four faculty fellows performed countless hours of scholarship for our $1M Viret Family Faculty Leadership Fellows Program
- Two new joint degree programs for students interested in healthcare careers
- 13 new degree and certificate programs delivered entirely or partially online
Be Relentlessly Dedicated to Student Success
Our second goal is to set the standard for supporting individual student success. We will tirelessly focus on graduation and retention initiatives. We will provide students with myriad clubs, organizations, service-learning, experiential and leadership opportunities. Our graduates will achieve national recognition for their intellectual curiosity and ability, job skills, civic and social engagement, and readiness to excel as the next generation of professional, academic and community leaders.
- One of only 4 colleges in the U.S. to earn an Eduventures Innovation Award for our Mentoring Program
- 95% of our undergraduate students have jobs or are in grad school within six months of graduation
- 91% pass rate on all parts of the CPA Exam (the national average is just 50%)
Establish Adelphi as a Model of Diversity and Inclusion
With strategic Goal 3, we are committed to becoming a national model and respected leader in diversity and inclusion. We will recruit, retain and support diverse faculty, staff and administrators and increase recruitment of and retention initiatives for diverse students. We will become a life-changing resource for our nation’s veterans and a welcoming home for students of all backgrounds, beliefs, cultures and abilities.
- 4.5 out of 5 stars awarded by the Campus Pride Index for our commitment to inclusion of LGBTQ+ students—one of only five campuses in New York state
- 49 countries where Stephen M. Shore, EdD, has shared his expert perspective on autism during the 2018-19 academic year
- 37% of new faculty hires at Adelphi University are people of color
Develop a Powerfully Connected University
With Goal 4, the Adelphi community will benefit from and contribute to a powerful network of connections among faculty, staff, students, families, alumni and corporate partners, along with local, regional and national institutions and government agencies. We will leverage our proximity to, and presence in, New York City while remaining one of Long Island’s most vital institutions.
- 500+ student internships through our Jaggar Community Fellows Program
- First scientific computing minor in New York state in a partnership with Brookhaven National Laboratory
- 1,200 Hempstead elementary school students grew vegetables with the help from Adelphi volunteers to donate 240 pounds of food
by Cari Costa ’16 Adelphi University’s Department of Exercise Science, Health Studies, Physical Education and Sport Management has been selected to host the 2019 International Association for Physical Education in Higher Education (AIESEP) Conference. Founded in 1962, AIESEP is a professional association devoted to the promotion of physical education worldwide. The conference itself is expected to attract…
Advance Our Financial Strength and Operational Excellence
With Goal 5, Adelphi pledges to be careful stewards of our University’s financial resources and to honor the faith that families, donors and partners place in us. We will improve existing resources to create a high-functioning, highly regarded university. We pledge to work toward better data sharing, strong risk management, quality analytics and a more sustainable campus. We will conduct fundraising campaigns that unite and inspire.
- $5M Higher Education Capital (HECap) Matching Grant from NY state helped finance the renovation of our Ruth S. Harley University Center in 2018
- $1.2M National Science Foundation grant supporting our New York Noyce STEAM Pipeline: Preparing Next-Gen Science Teachers
- 929 donors supported 30 campus causes during Giving Day 2019—doubling the donations from the previous year
Food insecurity can be found anywhere—even on a college campus. As the new academic year begins, Adelphi University has opened the Panther Pantry, a vital step to help members of our community dealing with food insecurity.
Thanks to the efforts of our entire campus, the American Association of University Administrators (AAUA) has named Adelphi University one of two winners of its Exemplary Models Award for Personalizing the Enrollment Process.
Become a Well-Known and Widely Recognized University
With strategic Goal 6, Adelphi will achieve recognition worldwide as an outstanding private university offering a unique combination of strong academics, experiential learning and exceptional student support. We will be a workplace where collegiality is highly valued. We will promote the many achievements of our extraordinary students, faculty, staff and alumni. We will be noted increasingly in national news, and rising rankings will enhance our reputation.
- 250+ alumni, staff, students and community partners participated in our second annual Women’s Leadership Conference in 2018
- 61% increase in mentions in higher education media
- Five top-tier rankings from U.S. News & World Report in 2019
Through years of detective work with faculty from several different departments at Adelphi, Anagnostis Agelarakis, PhD and his team were able to determine why the woman was buried in such an unusual manner. In the process, they challenged long-held beliefs about the role of women in ancient Greece.