J-1 Status Maintenance
Exchange visitors participating in all categories are required to comply with the following requirements in order to maintain valid J-1 status.
Any participant who does not comply with all J visa regulations will be considered to be in violation of their status resulting in the termination of the individual’s SEVIS record, resulting in the end of the J-1 program and valid status.
- Arrive in the U.S. no more than 30 days prior to the start date printed on the Form DS-2019 and report to International Services located in Post Hall, Suite 200
- Complete the entire mandatory Immigration check-in process through the International Services Portal within 7 days of arrival.
Maintain Required Documents
Exchange visitors are at all times expected to maintain:
- Valid DS-2019
- Valid passport
- I-94 marked D/S which stands for the duration of status
Engage in Appropriate Activities
- Students are required to carry a full course of study.
- Research Scholars or Professors are required to perform research activities, lecture, consult, or teach.
Be Employed Only with Authorization from International Services
- Unauthorized employment is a violation of program status and subject to termination of status.
- Volunteering may be considered employment for immigration purposes; consult with International Services before beginning any volunteer activity.
Maintain Health Insurance
- Exchange visitors and any dependents are required to obtain health insurance that meets the minimum requirements throughout the entire duration of the program.
Report Address Changes
- Report changes of your physical address, telephone number, personal email or your emergency contact details by completing the “Contact Information Update” request using the International Services Portal.
- Update any change within 10 days.