You may have questions for how this outbreak has affected your status or studies.

The International Services team has developed a list of FAQ below in an effort to keep you informed. As the situation changes from day to day, you may have more questions and we will do our best to answer them.

Can’t find your question below and need additional assistance? Contact us at and we will gladly get back to you.

Online Courses

Yes, as a result of the most recent SEVP Guidance, students will be able to temporarily count online classes toward a full course of study in excess of the traditional limits which apply for status maintenance, even if they have left the United States and are taking the online classes elsewhere. This temporary provision is only in effect due to COVID-19.  As the university is adopting a hybrid model—that is, a mixture of online and in person classes—students can select the courses which best fit their individual preferences and need and  will be allowed to take more than one class or three credit hours online.

No, students enrolled in any of the above mentioned programs will not be permitted to enroll in any online courses (see 8 CFR214.2(f)(6)(i)(G) and 8 CFR 214.2(m)(9)(v))) as per the Federal regulations. 


If you plan to remain in your home country and enroll in online courses for the fall semester, you will need to communicate your plans with International Services at  Together, one of our office staff will be able to assist you with university services and help you to coordinate remaining at home.  Below is specific information to assist you with your questions.

You will be responsible for all tuition and applicable fees for your specific academic program.  For a full list of tuition and fees, please refer to this link:University Tuition and Fees

If you are not returning to the U.S. and plan to remain in your home country to enroll in courses, you will not be able to select any courses other than those listed online.  When you create your schedule for the fall with an academic advisor, please let them know you will be remaining in your home country and need to enroll in only online courses. 

If you are a residential student and not planning on living on campus, you will need to contact Residential Life and Housing at to notify this office.  You will then be removed from housing and will not have to pay this fee.

If you will not be physically present in the U.S. for the Fall 2020 semester, you will not have to pay for the University health insurance fee for the fall.  In order to remove this fee from your bill, you will have to waive your insurance. You will be responsible for health insurance when you return to campus for the Spring semester. 


Adelphi University is committed to ensuring that you can continue your academic program safely and in accordance with all regulations. A member of our academic advisement team will be in touch with you to arrange a 1:1 session. Together you will develop an individualized academic plan that allows you to continue your studies and which also provides regulatory guidance regarding your status.


  • International students and scholars should use the  International Services Portal, an integrated electronic interface available through eCampus for all essential services indicated below:

    • Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Request  

    • I-20 Reprint Request  

    • Letter of Invitation  

    • Letter of Status  

    • Optional Practical Training (OPT)  

    • Program Extension of I-20  

    • Request Authorization for Reduced Course Load  

    • STEM OPT Extension  

    • Transfer Out

Once the request has been reviewed and processed by the Designated School Official (DSO), International Services communicate directly with each requester to provide adequate guidance and assistance required by federal regulations. 

Travel Questions

For more information on travel as an international student, please find information here

For more information on applying for an F-1 visa, please find information here

The travel endorsement signature is valid for one year from the last date signed.  For students who were not able to receive a travel signature and require one, please email  International Services will provide you with an electronically reproduced signature on your form I-20 after your travel endorsement request. 

Employment Questions

In an effort to assist students, International Services offers a comprehensive OPT webpage which includes necessary information for students planning to file for OPT.

International Students should not travel while your OPT application is pending.  You should remain in the United States.  The U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is currently evaluating questions and concerns regarding the impact of international travel during the period of time the University has moved to online courses on OPT applications. In the meantime, to assist you with your questions, SEVP recommends reaching out directly to USCIS for further guidance at 1.800.375.5283. USCIS Contact Center.

An F-1 student must show an ability to afford the costs of school and living expenses before entering the United States and should not plan to work off-campus. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will authorize off-campus employment only in cases of severe economic hardship occurring after a student’s enrollment in an academic program and after the student has been in F-1 status for at least one full academic year, or in emergent circumstances as defined by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Students interested in filing for off-campus employment with the USCIS for reasons of severe economic hardship must file the application individually, and can not accept or begin any off-campus employment without authorization from USCIS directly.

Program Extension

In order to maintain valid F-1 status, you must make normal progress towards the program of study indicated on Form I-20 prior to the expiration of the program completion date on the Form I-20.  If you will need additional time to complete your academic program, you are responsible for filing a timely program extension application with international services. This must be done prior to the program completion date listed on form I-20 and can be done remotely using the “Program Extension Application” in your International Services Portal.

Program Completion

  • Once you file for graduation and have been cleared by your academic department, your Form I-20 will be shortened to reflect your updated program completion date.

  • Following your program completion, an F-1 student has four immigration options:

  • Depart the U.S. within 60 days of completing the course of study

    • Your program completion date is determined by the last day of the academic calendar for the enrolled semester or session in which the student is graduating.

    • You  must depart the U.S. no later than 60 days after this program completion date.

  • Continue in F-1 status by pursuing further F-1 studies either at the same institution or another school. 

    • You must initiate a transfer out application or a change of educational level application within 60 days of the program completion date.

    • You can request a transfer out through the International Services Portal located in your eCampus account.  

    • To request a change of educational level I-20, please contact International Admissions. 

    • Your program completion date is determined by the last day of the academic calendar for the enrolled semester or session in which the student is graduating.

  • Apply for standard post-completion optional practical training (if eligible) no later than 60 days after completing the course of study.

    • You must follow procedures for optional practical training and file an application with the USCIS.

    • Information on how to file for OPT is available here

  • Apply to change status to another nonimmigrant classification no later than 60 days after completing the course of study. 

    • You  must qualify for change of status to a particular nonimmigrant category, and follow change of status procedures specific to that category. 

    • If the new category has a particular start date, the start date requested for the new category must be no later than the end of the student’s 60-day F-1 grace period.

SEVP recognizes that some students may find it difficult to return home during the COVID-19 emergency as a result of diminished travel options. Given the uncertainty caused by this disruption to flights and ongoing travel restrictions, it is recommended that you reach out to your respective embassy or closest consulate to request assistance if possible.  A growing number of embassies are posting special communications on their websites and social media in order to contact them.  In addition, please notify International Services and we will make a notation in your SEVIS record that you are having difficulty in departing the U.S. as a result of limited travel options.  This is a complex issue in which SEVP is aware of.  If any additional guidance is provided from SEVP, we will communicate this to students upon receipt.  You should also explore other options which include OPT, or beginning a new academic program.

Leave of Absence

International Students are required to enroll in a full course of study each academic semester in order to maintain valid F-1 status. Active international students requesting a leave of absence for the current semester would need to request an authorized early withdrawal from their academic program.  International Students in degree-seeking undergraduate and graduate programs interested in taking a leave of absence are able to do this through the Office of Academic Services.  Students in various AUI programs which include English Language Training, EAP, AAP, MAP, and AMAP programs should contact their AUI student services advisor. Once your leave of absence has been approved by Academic Services, the Designated School Official in International Services will terminate your SEVIS record indicating an Authorized Early Withdrawal. This termination of status will require you to depart the United States as your F-1 status will be no longer maintained. You will then have a 15 day grace period in order to depart the United States as per SEVP requirements from the date of the authorized leave of absence. While this termination of status requires students to depart the U.S., it will have no negative immigration implications on future travel for the student, however, students will not be able to maintain valid F-1 status if not enrolled in a full course of study.

For information regarding recent SEVP updates please visit: ICE/SEVP Frequently Asked Questions. For international student COVID-19 related questions, please visit: International Student FAQs During COVID-19.

Phone Number
Post Hall, 203

Search Menu