Professional Development Fellows Program
The Professional Development Fellows Program is designed to prepare union and entry-level non-union employees with the tools, knowledge and experience to accelerate their career growth in higher education.
The goal of the Professional Development Fellows Program is to provide staff members considering a role as an administrator or supervisor with learning opportunities, experience, knowledge and skills related to success in administrative positions in higher education.
January 2021, applicants will submit an application form, a resume and short essay providing a rationale and explaining their interest in the program.
February and March 2021, the four selected fellows will attend an orientation workshop, complete a career assessment, and complete the required online technology learning program, which will included the following courses in Linkedin Learning:
- Word 2016 Essential Training
- Excel 2016 Essential Training
- PowerPoint 2016 Essential Training
Spring and Summer 2021, fellows will also attend the following workshops in the Leadership and Management Certificate Program:
- Understanding a Manager’s Role and How to Avoid Pitfalls
- The Leadership Challenge
- Building a Service Culture: A Step-by-step Guide for Managers
- Creative Thinking and Critical Decision Making
- Project Management
Spring and Summer 2021, fellows will attend the following workshops in the Adelphi University Diversity Certificate Program:
- Diversity and Cultural Competency in Higher Education
- Addressing Racism
In Fall 2021, fellows will learn through a project-oriented experience (4 hours per week) in one of the following departments:
- Diversity and Inclusion
- External Relations (events planning)
- Human Resources
- University Admissions
- Information Technology
- Center for Career and Professional Development
Near the end of the program, fellows will receive career counseling which will include instruction around resume development, interview skills, and job search techniques.
Application and Selection
What is the criteria for selection?
Interested applicants should do the following:
- Submit an essay describing the applicant’s career goals and objectives; why they want to be in the program.
- Attach a current resume.
Three to Five employees will be selected to participate in this highly selective program. Fellows and their department heads will be notified of their acceptance and must confirm commitment to the year-long program.