Four promising student entrepreneurs pitched original business plans to a panel of judges on Tuesday, April 26, at Adelphi's annual Business Plan Competition. The challenge, which took place in the Adelphi University Innovation Center, is a yearly opportunity for competitors to win $11,000 in prizes.
Business Plan Competition
Aspiring students can vie for cash prizes in our shark-tank style competition.
All Adelphi students were eligible to submit a preliminary proposal prior to December 3. Students can participate individually or in teams of up to 5 members.
Helping to Launch Your Business
- $11,000 in cash prizes*: $5,000 for first place, $3,000 for second place, $2,000 for third place, $1000 in prizes for Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG)
- Mentoring and coaching from business leaders and Adelphi faculty for all finalists
- Free one-year Wix Business Basic Premium Plan** for all finalists (accept online payments, hosting, custom domain, unlimited bandwidth, 20GB of storage, Wix training). The estimated value of $575+
*Cash prize funding has been provided to the WSB by a generous alumnus, Kevin G. Mahony ‘83.
**Estimated value based on the annual price of Business Basic Premium Plan ($276) and value of advertising credits for users ($300). Plans are available for up to 20 finalists. Wix is a third party and plan characteristics can change.
- Monday, November 15, 2021 – Virtual Brainstorming/Information Session
- Friday, November 19, 2021 – Reasons Why It Is a Great Time to Start a Business
- Tuesday, November 30, 2021 – How to Prepare a Business Proposal Workshop
- Friday, December 3, 2021 – Preliminary Business Plan deadline
- Monday, December 13, 2021 – Announcement of finalists
- Friday, February 4, 2022 – Preparing a business plan, business model, and the business pitch
- Friday, April 15, 2022 – Full-fledged Business Plan due date
- Tuesday, April 26, 2022 – Competition day!
- Location: Innovation Center at Swirbul Library
- Time: 9:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. – Introductions and presentations
12:30 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. – Announcement of winners
First Place & Environmental, Social and Governance
Kayla Strayhorn: BU Rooftop Farming
Shuriz Hishmeh ’21: Black Soldier Fly Composting
Ruiqin Fu: Boom I Rang
First Place & Best Elevator Pitch
Zameena Jivraj: Healthspace
Eric Meirs & Yuleidy Baez: EcoDines
Yuanmeng Wang & Nadia Khan: A Light in the Alley
Abie Rawad Akhand: Eden Your Garden of Services
Elena Garcia: Maven Media
Third Place & Best Elevator Pitch
Samrat Malik: Auto Fire Hazard Control System
Chitralekha (Pooja) Kar ’18: Garden of Green
Second Place & Best Elevator Pitch
Sarah Ferraro and Sonia Melendez: BitBox Fashion
Ismael Voltaire: Volt Fit Technologies
Ismael Voltaire: TradeBookz
Stefani Kusterbeck: Tryst Cigar Lounge
Eric Boehning: Long Beach Body Art