English Proficiency Requirements
We require all non-native English speakers to take and pass one of several available proficiency exams.
Scores are valid for two years from the date of the exam. All test results must be received as official documentation from the testing institution.
Acceptable English proficiency exams scores (TOEFL, IELTS, or DET):
- 80+ on the TOEFL iBT (We will accept TOEFL MyBest scores)
- 6.5+ on the IELTS
- 110+ on the web-based Duolingo English Test (DET)
You can submit your TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo English Test (DET) results to email@example.com. Both TOEFL and DET are currently available online, offering greater flexibility for completion.
If your score falls below our minimum requirements, we can direct you to our Adelphi International partners, who offer Accelerator programs designed to provide language support for incoming international students.
Countries Where English Test is Waived
- includes US Territories – American Samoa, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. Croix, St. John and Water Island)
- Canada (with the exception of Quebec)
- United Kingdom – England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales
- Irish Republic
- Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, British Virgin Islands (Tortola, Virgin Gorda, Anegada, Jost Van Dyke), Falkland Islands, Federated States of Micronesia
- Cayman Islands, Christmas Islands, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Montserrat, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks and Caicos
- New Zealand
- The Gambia
- Sierra Leone
- South Africa
- Papua New Guinea
- Solomon Islands
Criteria other than country of origin:
- Attended US High School for 3+ years (student can be test optional)
- SAT EWR of 550 or higher
- Attended a British/American/Canadian/Australian curriculum school where the medium of instruction is English
- PTE Academic – minimum score 54 (AUI only)
- ELS 112 – must present a certificate (not grade report. Student must pass)