Learn to communicate on a global scale.
The language requirement is part of Adelphi’s mission to prepare students to be informed and culturally sensitive citizens. Knowledge of more than one language and familiarity with more than one culture will become increasingly important in the world of the 21st century for professionals in every field.
Who Needs to Complete the Language Requirement?
All students working toward a BA degree (including STEP, honors and transfer students) and all students in the Levermore Global Scholars program must meet the language requirement. Students who change from a BS to a BA program must then meet the language requirement for the BA degree.
What do You Need to Complete the Language Requirement?
By the time they graduate, students must demonstrate proficiency in their chosen language at a fourth-semester level.
Language Exam Requirements
All students with some knowledge of a second language are asked to take a placement exam, which will determine your language skill and place you at the correct level. Please note: The test is for placement purposes only. Placement tests are offered in the following languages:
Students, please follow these steps to register and complete the WebCAPE requirement:
- Follow the link to take the exam.
- Enter your information to register and create an account. You must use your mail.adelphi.edu email address to proceed.
- Once your information has been entered, click “Create Account”.
- Once the account has been created, click “Sign In” to proceed.
- Sign in using the email address and password you just used to create your account. Be sure to save this login information in the event you need to access your account again. You can log back in at any time at app.webcape.net.
- After signing in, you will be brought to your Dashboard. From here, you can select the language(s) you would like to take by clicking on “Take Test” and proceeding through the exam.
- Once you have finished the exam, please print your results and give them to your advisor.
If you have any questions about WebCAPE registration, please contact Sara Aponte-Olivieri.
- Through Moodle, Adelphi’s online learning management system, you can access the Italian and Japanese Placement Exam.
- Enter your universal name and password and click “Login”
- On the following page, click “Italian/Japanese Placement Exam” to begin the exam.
- Upon completing the placement exam, you will see the results automatically in your Internet browser. Please print a copy of this and bring it to Adelphi during your Orientation session.
- Under no circumstances may you register for a level lower or higher than the one to which you are assigned.
To take a test for Greek or Latin, please contact Carmen Castellón at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 516.877.4050.
If you feel you are already proficient in one of the above languages, or have placed above level IV in the placement test, you must take the proficiency test on campus in the department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures.
For other languages not taught in the department please contact the College of Arts and Sciences Dean’s office.
- If you began taking a language in high school which is also offered at Adelphi, your placement test will determine how many semesters of the language you will need to take to satisfy the requirement. For example, if you place into Level II, this means you need three semesters of language to complete the requirement (Levels II, III and IV). Keep in mind that high school and college language levels are very different.
- If you have taken an AP language exam, please consult our Advanced Placement Credit chart for credits allowed.
- If you scored above Level IV on your placement test, or if you feel you are proficient in a language, you may take a test for proficiency in the language lab, located In Science Building 216A. This test must be supervised.
- Demonstrated completion of three years of high school education in a non-English-speaking country will satisfy the requirement.