Develop career-ready skills to promote good health and prevent disease in public, private and professional settings.
Why Earn an MA in Physical Education?
Whether you’re missing an initial teacher certification or you are certified in other areas like English, math or special education, a Graduate Alternative Teacher Education (GATE) track in physical education will get you the certification you need to teach in grades K-12. Learn to use exercise, sport, games and dance in age-appropriate programs, and gain the skills necessary to work with individuals and diverse groups in a variety of settings such as schools, community health centers, hospitals, recreation centers and the workplace.
Why Study Physical Education at Adelphi?
- Learn through transformative class activities that facilitate new ways of viewing the world while providing the knowledge, skills and professional dispositions necessary to be a successful physical education teacher.
- Balance your education with work or family life with flexible full- and part-time options, taught by professors who have extensive experience in the field.
- Benefit from a program rooted in diversity and inclusion, where you will learn how to be individually and socially responsible. You’ll learn how to create environments where all children are welcome.
90%** Adelphi University Career Outcomes Survey: Class of 2019
Advanced Certificate Option
For students who have already obtained a master’s degree in physical education, Adelphi offers an advanced certificate program for an additional 15 credits so students are fully specialized in their chosen field.
Exceptional Hands-On Learning
At Adelphi, we believe hands-on experience is key to setting our students up for future career success. Students on the GATE track receive their hands-on experience through internships and student teaching placements. With 130 intern hours split between elementary and secondary schools, students will help PE teachers conduct class. Additionally, students split 16 weeks between elementary and secondary placements, full time, five days per week, working with a cooperating teacher and a supervising professor from the University gaining firsthand experience.
Applicants must submit the following:
- Graduate application and $50 fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Personal essay
- Official transcripts from all prior institutions and proof of bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution
- Résumé (preferred)
- GRE exam results (required for the Physical Education GATE program)
All teacher certification candidates must take and pass New York State Teacher’s Certification Examinations (NYSTCE) required for their particular area of certification which includes the Content Specialty Test in Physical Education.