An update from the Vice President of Student Affairs and Dean of Students on the novel Coronavirus.
- Effective immediately, all upcoming nonessential University-sponsored international travel is canceled through May 1. This includes all spring break travel abroad and service abroad programs. Trips not taken will be refunded accordingly to the students and faculty involved. For students who would earn credits from these experiences to graduate in May, alternative arrangements are being made.
- Students who are presently overseas in countries that are not classified by the CDC as Level 3 may remain abroad to complete their programs. If the health situation changes in those areas at any time, we will reassess this decision. Students who are currently studying in areas that are not at risk may choose to return home and the University will assist them.
- As the situation continues to evolve, we will evaluate all travel programs planned for May through August. We will communicate decisions about these by the beginning of May.
- For people booking travel after May 1, which will be subject to cancellation contingent on global and national conditions, we recommend purchasing travel insurance that is all-inclusive, providing coverage in the event of trip cancellation due to illness or pandemic.
- All Adelphi community members will be required to self-quarantine for 14 days before returning to campus if you have been to areas designated as Level 3 Travel Advisory by the CDC or U.S. Department of State (which indicates widespread, sustained transmission of COVID-19 there).
- Any member of the Adelphi community who is living in the same household as an individual currently under self-quarantine must also, out of an abundance of caution, self-quarantine for a period of 14 days prior to returning to campus (unless they are able to remove themselves from the home).
Adelphi’s housekeeping staff in the Facilities Management Department continues to utilize hospital-grade cleaning products and protocols. As a residential campus, it has always been our policy to employ the highest level of rigor in the cleaning and sanitizing of facilities and spaces on our campus.
Our COVID-19 Work Group is actively planning to ensure we can all continue learning, teaching, working and operating in the event that an emergency directly impacts our campus and/or centers.
At Adelphi, we are fully committed to the safety, well-being and health of every member of our community. We ask you to help keep our community well by following the precautions recommended by the CDC:
- Thoroughly wash your hands with soap and warm water often.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer when you cannot wash.
- Refrain from touching your hands to your face.
- Cover your coughs or sneezes with a tissue or your sleeve (never your hand!).
- Avoid handshakes by smiling, nodding or fist-bumping instead.
- Stay home if you are sick.
We will continue to communicate with you regularly—please watch your emails and our website for the most current facts, plans and policies, which are evolving rapidly. Our online coronavirus information page with FAQs is constantly updated.
Lastly, if you have any concerns or questions about the coronavirus issue, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information, please contact:
Strategic Communications Director
p – 516.237.8634
e – email@example.com